1.16

The next day in the studio was a bit tense with Emily. Kate walked in and informed us that our application to perform in regionals was accepted. And we were all really happy.

We all saw James walking away from the group and towards his mom who just walked in.

When I see James's mom walking inside the studio, my whole mood changed. If he's out, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

They walked inside Kate's office and after about ten minutes they walked outside to us. "Dancers, we have another announcement to make." Chris said.

I looked at James trying to read him but he just stared at the floor. "This is James's mother."

"Actually Chris, I think this is an announcement that James should make himself to his friends. I think that they deserve that." Debrah said.

My eyes locked with hers for a second and then she looked away.

"Uh... as of today I'm being pulled from A troupe." James said and my heart just shuttered.

"What?" Everyone exclaimed.

"You're not in A troupe anymore?" West asked.

"No. I'm sorry I let you down." He said, turning to look at me.

"Why?"

"My maths grade just slipping a bit. It's not a big deal though." Debrah scoffed.

"I beg to differ, James. They're not slipping a bit, he failed his maths exam. He knew that this is the consequence of that. And I'm sorry that it came to that, I really do." She said looking at me.

"Is there no way to get him to dance with us at regionals?" West asked.

"No. He needs to spend time on his studies."

I looked up and locked eyes with James.

I'm disappointed James is leaving. I don't know what I'll do without him... at the studio.

"Can I suggest an idea?" Michelle asked. "James will leave for two weeks focuses on his studies, and bring up the grades, because we really need him to win regionals."

"I understand that, but James has promised me these things before, and he will do what he always do, find something funner than maths."

"None of us knew about this problem. Now we all know and now we wanna fix it. Right guys?"

"Yeah." We all agreed.

"You know what? I'm a maths genius. I can definitely help your son." West said.

"We can all help him." Michelle said.

"I don't know..." Debrah hesitated.

"Please." Michelle begged going down on her knees.

We all immediately followed her. "Please." We begged.

"Can I take a picture of this?" James laughed.

"You, zip it." She told him.

"We need him."

"Okay." She agreed and we all cheered, getting up. "But hold on. I don't wanna see any dancing from you for two weeks, James. And I mean it. No class, no rehearsal, no studio, no a troupe." She looked at me raising her eyebrows. "And I'm warning you, James. If those grades do not improve, I'll send your ass to military school so fast your head will spin."

James hugged his mom and we all joined in. Then they turned and left the studio. I followed them quickly.

"James!" I called him and they both turned to look at me.

"James, mommy has a hot flash, so I'll meet you at the car." He chuckled. "What? Am I embarrassing you?"

"No, mom."

"Good. Because I was put on earth to embarrass you." She looked at me. "I heard you deserve congratulations."

"Thank you, Debrah."

"Okay, hurry up. He has homework." She turned to the stairs and went down.

James looked at me. "Listen, I'm so sorry about the whole maths thing. I screwed up."

"I know."

"I don't know what to do. Tell me. Tell me, Izzy, what am I supposed to do?"

He can do it. He just needs to put his mind to it. I need to think of something that will give him a little motivation.

"I... have a little proposition for you. If you get 70 percent on your next maths exam, no less than 70 percent, I will go on a date with you." His little smile grew on his face when I finished the sentence.

He took a step closer to me. "Well... what makes you think I wanna date you?"

"I don't know. Do you?"

James: seeing her standing there, asking if I like her, made me like her even more, because I could never figure out this girl, and by her saying that, she pretty much agreeing to like me back.

He smiled widely at me and I chuckled. "So it's a deal?" I asked him.

"Yeah. I think it the best deal I've ever made." He looked down at me and grabbed my hand, squeezing it until we heard his mom's car downstairs. "Good luck in there, dance captain."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"I'll see you later." He said and walked away.