bonus chapter (3)

7 months later:

i barely even speak with anyone anymore. tomorrow we're going back home for the summer break and i can't wait to see them all.

i haven't spoken to James in months. he's in London with the boys. and i... started dating Ethan.

a month after we went to the movies he asked me out to dinner and we went on dates and i finally felt like i belonged here.

i've got a big group of friends, and i begin to miss home less and less.

"you sure you don't want to come spend the summer with me?" Ethan asked me from my side. we were in the park on the grass.

"i have to go back home, Ethan. maybe later this summer if the offer still be up."

"of course it will be. always here for you." i smiled. "so listen... James?" he looked at me.

"what about James?"

"you're gonna see him?"

"yes, i'm gonna see him."

"cool."

"i appreciate you trying to act cool, but you're a terrible liar."

"what can i say? i don't want my girlfriend to hang with her ex."

"you've got nothing to worry about okay? i will never be a cheater, i'll just break up with you over the phone." i joked and he hit my stomach playfully. "i'm joking! it's gonna be fine."

he smiled and looked at me. "i love you." he said and i stopped breathing.

i smiled softly. "i love you too." i replied and he leaned in to kiss me.

i do love Ethan. it's just... i really can't wait to see James. the only problem is that he doesn't know Ethan exist.

i walked out of the airport trying to find familiar faces and then i did. James leaned on a car waiting for me.

i smiled widely and ran to him. he caught me and lift me in the air. "i missed you, iz." he said in my ear.

"missed you too." i said and then he put me down. he looked me in the eyes. "i have a boyfriend!" i half yelled, with my eyes closed.

i opened them slowly to see his confused face. "wow. okay. did not expect that." he said.

"i'm sorry. i should've told you. i just didn't know how."

"you know what? it's fine. a year it's a long time. i'm happy you got over your ex. you deserve to be happy."

i smiled softly. "thanks james."

"anyway. i've got something for you." i looked at him confused. "yeah it's in the car." he opened the door and put something behind his back. "it's from the top of a mountain."

i smiled widely as he showed me the natural spring water.

"come on, i'll take you home."

we drove to my house, singing and laughing like i only saw him yesterday.

when he pulled next to my house i saw Riley, Eldon and Michelle outside and i almost jumped out of the car.

i ran to them excitedly and hugged them together. "i can't believe you're here." riley said to me.

"i know!"

"how's australia?" Michelle asked me.

"it's really good."

the car door slammed. "you told him?" Eldon asked me and i nodded.

they kept my secret really well the last few months and i'm really grateful about it.

James took me home later that night after we were all out together.

"good night." he said to me.

"wait." i looked at him. "i really like that you're being cool right now, and being my friend but let's pause for a minute." he sighed. "come on. let it out."

"let what out?"

"i know you well enough to know, that my ex boyfriend is freaking out right now."

"we're friends remember?"

"james."

"i don't know what to say, Izzy. i thought it would take you at least longer than a year to get over us. i thought we'll have the summer together."

i thought that too, to be honest. but things tend to turn around.

"how long has this been going on?"

"few months." i replied.

"are you in love with him?" he asked, looking at me.

"i love him, yes."

"are you in love with him?"

"what kind of question is that, James?"

"you wanted to pause, so answer the question. that's what i want to know. are you in love with him?"

"i don't know! i don't know if i'm i love with him! because i will be lying if i would say that i don't miss you or that im not in love with you anymore. but i've got a great life there, and he's really sweet to me. so yes! i do love him."

"great." he looked at me. "good night, izzy. i'll see you tomorrow."

but he didn't. he didn't come. and he didn't answer his phone. i found out from Eldon he flew back to London with the band and he just couldn't say goodbye again.

it did hurt me a bit, but i understand. i spend the two weeks after with mostly Eldon and Riley, and then i decided to fly back to Australia to Ethan.

and i didn't talk to James for the next three years.