Target Practice

Time to strike. Vex got out of her bed and sneaked around her room, avoiding the floorboards that creak. She studied every single floorboard, luckily for her George was below her, and she knew how incompetent he was.

The door opened only to let her out. She thanked herself for being so thin. Still avoiding the loud planks, she watched her step. She got to the stairs, but there was one issue. Every single step made some sort of noise. Whether it was a creak or a thump, the whole stairs weren't an option if she wanted to get out of the house quietly.

She glanced around and found the handlebar. She put her hand on it and pressed down, surprised when no squeak got out of it. She considered riding down the handlebars, and since she didn't have any nuts they wouldn't hurt. With no further thought she sat sideways on the ledge and slowly slid down, steadying herself.

"This is awkward" she whispered to herself, hitting a corner and turning almost falling over. She caught herself just in time and bit her lip for hitting a bruise in her leg.

As she trudged down the stairs, careful not to make any noise, she eventually made it down, letting out a sigh of relief. She was silently praying to Death herself that the door would be open, and god must've rooted for her, because it was infact unlocked.

"Fuck yeah!" She mouthed, turning the handle. A waft of cool air greeted her, the sky as clear as day. Without hesitation, she left the house to go a certain path she memorized. The grass crunched under her every step she took, and no matter what her next move was she swore something or someone was watching her.

"Thank god, I found it!" She whisper shouted when she got to the archery station. Ever since Sapnap made fun of her for being bad at shooting with bows, she made it a mission to get better. It's unnecessary, and she would probably learn it anyways from her training, but she couldn't care less. Better early than late.

"Okay, where did they keep their equipment" she asked to noone in particular. She found the chest Sapnap took the bow and arrow from, and got what she needed.

While the night was still fresh, she stood behind the target line(I have no fricken clue what it's called) and aimed. She gripped the bow and pulled with all of her strength, letting out steady breaths. But when she let go, it barely hit the target.

"Dammit" she cussed under her breath and sighed, trying to think back to how Sapnap shot.

"Your stance is wrong" a voice rang behind her. She knew who that voice belonged to.

"What are you doing here so late?" Dhe asked back, not even turning to see him. She already knew who it was so what's the point. She loaded another arrow.

"I should say the same for you. Especially since you're the one who shouldn't go outside" he replied, getting closer to her. She aimed again, but was stopped when Dream appeared behind her, taking the bow from her.

"Turn your body sideways, but keep your head straight. Aim upwards than where you actually want to hit" he lectured, letting go and hitting the target flawlessly. Vex scoffed.

"Of course the almighty Dream would know, please teach me your ways" she over exaggerated, even fake bowing. Dream sighed.

"I already am, come here" he called over. Vex obliged.

"Of course, how could I refuse a lesson from the best warrior of all the lands" she kept on. Dream gave her the bow.

"Keep your head down, narrow your eyes" he advised, and no matter how much she didn't want to listen to him, he was admittedly better than her at this. So she did as told and stood sideways, looking forward to the target.

"Take a breath and release it the same time you release the arrow" he continued, now looking at the target. She didn't expect it to work, but she hit it. It wasn't a bullseye but it was close enough.

"Yooo, the Dream advice" she smiled. Now she could shoot. Dream nodded.

"I'm assuming you're here for practice, so why don't we have a little contest" he offered. She scoffed.

"I'm flattered you think I'm even a competitor to you" she admitted. Dream couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or if she actually meant it. A small part of him was screaming that she did.

"You may be a pain to be with or around, but I know potential when I see one" he stated confidently. She stretched her limbs.

"My ego is getting a treat tonight" she muttered, which Dream caught.

"Speaking of, did you come here to learn how to shoot a bow?" he asked her. She hesitated on telling him she got out of the house without anyone's permission. He picked up a bow and a few arrows, approaching her.

"Well yes, I didn't want that Sapbitch to rub it in my face every single time god will punish me to face him" she replied, letting go of another shot. Dream shot one, immediately hitting a bullseye.

"Dude, this is just unfair" she commented. He laughed.

"I'm sure you'll improve over these three weeks. And after that we could-" he stopped himself. Vex glanced at him.

"..Nevermind" he excused. Vex brushed it off, but Dream kept contemplating what he just said. What was he going to say? he thought. He was about to suggest something when she left, but why did he stop himself?

"You good? You have been staring at that for awhile now" Vex's voice brought him back to reality. He had never been so spaced out ever since the war started. But the thought that led him to do that was caused by Vex. A girl that was nothing but a tool for peace, or so he thought.

"Just focusing" he excused. Vex noticed his head lower. Which was strange as that was a subconscious response to threat or intimidation. But he had nothing to be afraid of.

Or maybe he did have something to be afraid of...