excuses,excuses,excuses

"We are gathered here today to announce the winner of the election as well as the percentage of votes each candidate has obtained. The winner of course being the new president of L'manburg" Wilbur stood on the podium, alongside Tommy, who was a bit behind him, but still smiling most likely in excitement. Dammit! I wanted to talk to them before they go onstage. I'll just try to catch them when it's over. We weren't really in the crowd more like outside of the general area but still close enough to see everything happening.

"I gotta go meet someone" Sapnap excused himself and Dream just nodded. Okay now that leaves the two of us. Strange, but whatever.

I tuned out most of what the candidates had to say. It's all just lies of a better world to the audience. I've seen it happen way too many times. Nice guy with a nice face shows up out of nowhere promising a bright future for the citizens, ends up being a tyrannical dictator. That's what I thought Wilbur was when we first met.

The first time we met was a few months ago, when Tommy tried to sell drugs to me. And I was asking what it was made from, when Wilbur showed up scolding him. He apologized to me on Tommy's  behalf and I got to learn about him. Decent looking guy, freakishly tall. Talked about freedom and democracy alot. I thought it was just bullshit from a politician again. But I was wrong.

He was modest, and genuinely kind hearted, wanting the best for everyone in his country. Always considering his citizens when making crucial decisions. Sure he made a few mistakes, but I dont really blame him for it. Tough decisions make for tough calls. That's why I respect Wilbur. He's noble, down to earth and considerate. Almost the complete opposite of Dream.

But he can get obsessive and addicted, as well as his moral compass can be tampered with very easily. Which makes him prone to corruption. Though if he has strong will, I know he can fight for good.

"Wilbur, don't fail me now" I was hoping noone heard me, but of course Dream has invisible elephant ears.

"You're rooting for him?" I don't know what does it sound like Dumbo?

"Yes. He's noble and respectable. Something I can see you and your friends are lacking in" I didn't hold back. He took it personally.

"He's not that respectable" he replied. Hold my water. Is Dream getting jealous of him?

"I didn't think YOU would be jealous" I put on a shit earing grin. This is going to be entertaining.

"He literally sold you off to us to save himself" that's the best you can do? I dont care if I die as long as I don't die in vain.

"As long as they're free, I don't care what happens to me" I ain't lying. Watching them celebrate was one of the best moments of my life. And even though that doesn't say much, it was worth every sacrifice.

"Why do you not value your life? You valued Tommy's over yours" I'm about to learn how to fly before this guy learns to mind his own business.

"Because he's full of life, potential. Always looking forward. Putting himself infront of others. Being there for the people he loves the most. He has so much to live for and I merely exist because I have to" I don't know why I confessed. I just wanted to get that off my chest. Even if it's Dream out of everyone.

"You chose to come back for Tommy didn't you?" What? Come back? As in alive again? How does he know I had a choice.

"How do you know there's a choice?" I'm interrogating you now bitch. Did he meet God too?

"I was there before, when I accidentally pushed George out of the way of an incoming trident" he explained. Oh wow. He actually saved George? Hard to believe but I don't wanna pry.

"The knight in shining armour always saving someone huh?" I teased. He chuckled for once.

"I should be saying that to you. I lost count of how many times you tried to save Tommy or anyone else at L'manburg" I lost count too actually. It wasn't that many though.

"The others have something or someone to live for and I don't wanna ruin that" I already accepted it at this point. Some people have lives to live while some people are just background characters. They don't mean anything. Neither do they change anything. I tried so hard to change my fate and have something to live for, but my efforts were useless. Soon enough, I'll be forgotten and left to die alone. Just as it was meant to be.

"You aren't ruining someone's life with your existence" dude. Are you serious? Is he serious?

"You're one to talk" He must be on something bro. Or somethings.

"That was worded poorly. I meant to say you don't have to be this lifeless character you're being forced to be. You can choose your own fate" I swear to every deity out there he can read my mind dude. But what he said.. I tried to change it. I really did, but it doesn't work.

"You think you can change your fate just like that, just one snap of my fingers and poof you're free?" I was confused at this point. You would think someone like Dream would already know that.

"I don't know how it was for you, but for me it did change. Believe it or not, I had a similar life to you. No parents forced to steal to live. Had no reason to keep on going" as if we weren't indifferent enough.

"But then I found George and Sapnap" he looked towards the air. I don't think finding them is a necessarily a good thing, but hey you do you man.

"They gave me friendship, loyalty and just a brighter life. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for them. They're the ones who helped me change my fate" it sounded like a dad lecturing his son. Holy shit, I think I figured out why I hated Dream from the beginning. I was jealous that he had someone to lean on while I had nobody. That someone so horrible could still have such close companions.

He's right, we aren't completely different people, we had the same upbringing, the same misfortune, the only difference was he found someone that gave him a reason to keep going. I was jealous he had everything I wanted in life. I was just too stubborn to admit it.

"Why are you telling me all of this? Me and you don't have the best friendship" I waited for an answer. Why is he caring so much about me?

"It's depressing to see you try and fail to get the one thing you've always wanted from this world. An excuse to not die yet" that was so accurate I just got goosebumps. I don't even need to ask how. I already know.

"L'manburg, Tommy, hell even me, George and Sapnap were all an excuse weren't we?" This is not a conversation I thought I would have with Dream.

"Why do you care so much anyway? Aren't I like a massive pain in your ass?" Honestly the election didn't even matter anymore. I was completely focused on this. So that's what it was all this time.

"Because.. you are one of my excuses"