i got attached didnt i?

"How you handling the news?" Dream was still pretty motionless.

"Did she ever love me? Did she see meas a friend? Was it all a ruse? I- I can't tell, I" he started crying under the mask.

"Dream!" I grabbed his shoulders. He almost tried to kick me from reflex. This man has no chill.

"It's okay to not know" he halted for a bit. Cheesy statement I know, but I'm here for you.

"It's okay to let go" I said each word very slowly. He gazed over to Elaine talking with Wil, Tommy and the others. He must've realized she was happier this way, cause I felt him tense and clench his fists, please don't go yandere on me, I don't want to die this way.

"It's okay.. to let go" he stared at his fists and let them go. Good sign.

"It's okay to let go" I repeated back because I had no idea what else to say.

"If she's happy, that's all that matters" oh thank God. He's finally starting to let things go. That's also something we're different in. He holds grudges to death, while I just leave it all.

"Thank the holy ghost that was watching over me. I genuinely thought you would go batshit crazy and kill everyone" no offense but that was more likely than you think.

"You really had that little hope in me?" Yes.

"Yes. Very surprising" I know he has a mask but I can just see the slightly annoyed expression on his face. I always theorized what he looked like. Is he handsome? Or is he so ugly that he needs a mask to cover up the shame. I can believe either one honestly.

I don't really care though. It felt like I could always see his face and expressions. Everytime I looked at him, it wasn't a specific face because, well duh, I never saw it and I didn't want to decide for him. At this point I trust him to show me when he wants to.

"Are you okay?" Oh crap I forgot he was still there. Was I staring? Please tell me no.

"Was I staring? Or did I just zone out and my eyes unfocused?" He chuckled. A nice one. A friendly one.

"Kind of like both, but it looked like you were thinking about me. I get why though" I enflated his ego again. I hate the fact your right.

"Do you feel better now?" At least I distracted him.

"Yeah. Thanks" There it is. I see your smile.

"So, what do we do now?" I saw Elaine and the others laughing below the stage. Techno was nowhere to be found.

"More like what are WE going to do" that was horrible rephrasing but I get it. What are we?

"Yeah, I guess, you didn't have to rephrase my sentence" jokes aside, we gotta figure this out. I do not wanna be stuck between the friendzone.

"I don't want to be in this complex array of emotions any more than I have to. And I don't know if you even wanna talk about this, but.. what are we, Dream?" I know I'm taking a bold stand, and this is probabaly the worst timing for this, but we can't just ignore this.

"I.. I don't know anymore" I expected this. But I won't take it for an answer.

"Do you think you can ever let her go?" He glanced at her again. Since when did I become so desperate? I shouldn't hold on to him. But a little part of me is hoping he says yes.

"I don't think I can"

Why was I stupid enough to think he'd like me. Of course he doesn't. Why would he? I'm just a waste of breath.

But why does it hurt so much? I physically felt it stab my heart or whatever is still in there.

I knew it wouldn't work. I knew he didn't like me, so why does it hurt so badly? This happens everytime.

How can Cupid be so cruel?

"How can I be so stupid. I knew it, I did. But I still held out hope" I clenched my fists in anger. I should've died to Sapnap when we first met. I wouldn't have had to deal with this. Of course that's what I would've wanted. I always run away. But this time, I ran straight into this.

Before I walked away, Dream took my hand and pulled me back. He took his mask off and I finally saw his face. Slightly curled hair, cheeks and nose dusted with freckles, and almost transparent emerald eyes. Okay I take it back, he wasn't ugly. I'm willing to admit when I was wrong.

"I don't think I can let go, but I can try to. With you" what? You- I, huh? With me? Deadass?

"Deadass?" I asked him just to make sure. I think I've reached the highest and most realistic point of lucid dreaming.

"Deadass" he laughed, and I just noticed he didn't let go of my hand. This is too many emotions to process.

"You- I, brain malfunction"

"Take your time. I'm not going anywhere" I don't know why, I don't know how, but those words made me forget every horrible thing that where happened. This feeling is a drug, and I'm afraid I'm addicted to it.

"If this is a dream, I am going to be so pissed" please don't be.

"It isn't. And Vex?" He looked into my eyes again, and dammit I can't look away.

"Will you Vexity Embers, be my biggest excuse to keep on living?" That was the best way to ask I could ever ask for.

"Why of course, Dream the Knight. I would want nothing more" I bowed. Gotta show respect for the knight.

He pulled me into a hug, which I accepted. I know we're two messed up idiots that have no regards or experience with romance, but hey, why not give it a shot?

A/N

This book wasn't meant to be anything serious, but it was, and I don't regret it for a moment. It was quite a journey. And thank you for everyone who voted and left positive comments. It really gave me the motivation to keep going.

Some headcanons cause I felt like it:

-Tommy clung onto Vex because of her confidence and 'I don't give a shit' attitude. The only people he looked up to more tahn her was his family.

-Vex is pansexual. Meaning she doesn't care about gender when it comes to attraction.

-Vex was adopted/taken in a total of 6 times. Including Jschlatt for about 3 months when she was 14, and Philza for 2 years right after. She ran away from Phil because she felt bad for being so emotionally difficult.

-Vex is canonically 20

-she was captured/turned in 46 times, and escaped every single time, except for the last one which was of course the Dream Team kidnapping. Because of the amount of tranquilizers she took, she developed some sort of resistance to it. Not to be confused with immunity.

-Vex learned to speak Russian from one of her caretakers.

-and last but not least, Dream was the only person she ever felt fully comfortable hugging.

And that's the end of crazy hostage! Maybe there will be an epilogue, if you guys want some form of aftermath.