just say it

"Why not?"

Honestly, he didn't know how to answer. He's asking himself that right now. Why? Why doesn't he have anything to say?

Maybe, just maybe, he liked the craziness. The unpredictability. She gave him something new. A sense of dumbness. A sense of not knowing what's gonna happen. The thrill of not knowing what's next. What she would do next.

He had predicted his enemies moves countless times and avoided them, hell he blew up a country from doing anything he didn't know. He was used to knowing. But not knowing was something entirely new. Even though it pissed him off, it intrigued him, that someone would be able to outplay him in the most unexpected ways.

It was something new. She was something new.

"I-"

Just as he was about to answer, he felt something long and stick like on her back. He then saw the faint line of a flag through her jacket, which she took notice immediately and tried to break free of his hold.

"Shit!" Dream cut the jacket enough to reveal the blue flag. She had hidden the flag on herself!

"You can't hide the flag on you" he stated, sounding more confused than explanatory.

"Says Casper the friendly ghost! For all I know, I never left my side of the map" she smirked, knowing she had tricked her. He frowned at her slightly clever strategy.

He knew she would do something like this, finding a loophole to every situation and exploiting them. Something that would have something to do with her past at bring an escape artist. Impressive, nevertheless.

After her statement, he pushed himself up and ran to the border, with Vex giving chase. She didn't know if George found the flag or not, but buying time would be useful regardless. She wasn't faster than him, but she did memorize the layout of her surroundings, using the mounds to push off and boosting herself more, while dodging the various branches that came across.

The border line was on sight. It was the home stretch for Dream, while Vex knew he would get there in no time. For her last trick she pulled out a vine she had made into a lasso and tried to fish herself a Dream. Just a few blocks from the border, she got his foot with the lasso and he fell with a thud. She pulled with all her might, but he would overpower her soon.

When she had lost almost all hope, a screech came from the woods before George came running out of the bushes holding the green flag with Sapnap right behind him. By the time Dream cut the vines off, George had just crossed the border, winning the game for both of them.

"Did we win? Holy shit we won!" Vex answered her own question. Sapnap groaned in annoyance and panted from running so much, while Dream was still laying on the ground, effectively worn out as well. Vex on the other hand, had more energy that ever.

"I did it! Sorry, we did it" George reunited with his teammate. Vex put an arm around George's shoulder, while flipping off the losers.

"Yeah suck it blazebitch, maskface! We fuckin did it!" She exclaimed. Proud of herself and George.

"Whatever. If I didn't trip on a rock, I would've caught you" he explained. But all Vex heard was excuses.

"At least make it a good excuse dude" She continued, letting out a laugh. Sapnap huffed.

"From now on, we're banning hiding flags on your body" Dream demanded, which earned a chuckle from the winning team.

"I'm sure you know I'll find a way around that" her confidence was sky high. It wasn't the fact that she would find a way around everything that pissed him off, it was the fact she knew it. Not only is it her unpredictability, but her ego coupled with it, that made the perfect counter for Dream.

She didn't have a fragile ego. She was more than fine admitting when she was wrong, or when she did something stupid. That was another key difference between them. While Dream had believed his abilities made him above the average person, she was down to earth about it, often joking about it and not making a big deal about it when someone is far superior to her.

She recognises her limits, and knows what she can and can't handle. She knew from meeting Dream that he is far better than her. That he was a big obstacle. One that can't be outsmarted, but can be outplayed.

"Come on, don't be depressed cause we beat you too hard" Dream snapped back to reality. She was standing above him, offering a hand. It wasn't anything big, but small gestures like these give a feeling of security. That someone has your back. Which was something Dream didn't feel often, as he saw leaning on others made him weak. But for some reason, when Vex pulled him up to his feet, it didn't make him feel abased.

"You're a real piece of work" he commented, to which she rolled her eyes playfully.

"I bet you like doing work" she grinned knowingly. He sighed at her immaturity, but felt a tinge of pink on his face.

"Let's head back, I'm starving" Sapnap called. George's eyes lit up.

"Since we won, you guys can make dinner for tonight" he decided.

"An actual dinner, not some burnt sad pile of charcoal or anything like that" she added. George was manageable on his own, but Vex and them made an unlikely duo that was gonna become well inseperable, Dream could predict.

"As a blaze hybrid with fire powers that is my specialty" Sapnap claimed, which offended Vex immediately.

"Okay we get it, you have powers, let's get home" she replied, walking off before realizing she doesn't know where their house is.

"I'm surprised you called it a home" Dream pointed out. She hadn't even realized, it just came out. She didn't feel unsafe there anymore, and the boys did seem to not want to kill her anymore, so she guessed she could call it home.

"And it's that way" he added, pointing to the opposite direction. They made their way back, which ofcourse, didnt go one minute before the bickering and arguing arose amongst the group. Despite all of that. Vex didn't forget her question. Why did he keep her? Dream effectively dodged the question, but that wasn't satisfying. She was gonna know. She didn't need to, she wanted to.