Chapter 34 - Ni kar'tayl gai sa'ner

Mando'a used in chapter:

"Ni kar'tayl gai sa'ner" = "I know your name as mine"

"Ner cyar'ika" = "My darling/beloved"

"Aliit" = "Family/Clan"

A week after the loss of Hothead and Chiller, we got news of our deployment. We would be heading out on three days. That meant doing all the last things and preparing to go out into the war infected galaxy. I was currently sitting cross legged on Rex's bed in his room as he was sat at his desk with his datapad, drowning in administrative work. I was too, but more mechanics related as I was in charge of ordering all the spare parts, new ships and tools needed so they could be loaded on board before departure. There was a relaxed silence between us and both of us knew that conversation wasn't needed to be able to enjoy the company. When both of us were working, we enjoyed just being in the same room as it lowered the edge of stress outlining work. Leaning back on the wall behind his pillows I let out a sigh of content. In the corner of my eye I saw Rex's back tense under the stress forming on him like rust. He hadn't taken a break in a very long time now, thinking about it, I hadn't either.

"Rex?"

A low hum emitted from him, yet his head remained still. Bringing the datapad to rest on the night table next to me I tried again,

"Rex, darling."

"What?"

I paused at his snappy voice and let out a quiet sigh. I stood up, stretched my tired legs and walked over to him to gently rub his shoulders.

"Ner cyar'ika, I think you need a break."

I strayed from using my usual nickname ner alor'ad, as the reminder of his duty as a Captain would pull him down further into a spiral of stress. He always wore the title with utmost pride and I knew his love for the nickname as it marked him as mine. But in these instances when he was being overworked by the boring aspects of his role, it weighed heavy on him. The tension I felt underneath my fingers was clear proof of it. It would pull his shoulders back as a bowstring before the arrow was shot. His neck was trained in an uncomfortable angle, using one of my hands I glided it along his jaw to his chin so I could carefully guide his head back to rest against my stomach as I stood behind him. He had closed his eyes in relaxation and his hands put down the datapad on the desk before sliding down to rest on his lap. At least he wasn't in his armour and wore the regular garb of the clone soldiers. It was a simple long sleeved tunic and pants in the same material, the blue colour representing the battalion they fought in. I caressed his cheek with one hand as the other rested on his collarbone.

"You've been working non-stop for a while now, Rex. I can feel the stress in your muscles."

He hummed and drew a deep breath,

"You're right, (Y/N). But the reports won't do themselves you know."

"I know, but do you think you'll be able to finish them all half asleep?"

Opening his eyes I saw the sleepiness seeping into them, although he tried to stop it valiantly. The corner of his mouth quirked a little as he lifted his hands and patted his lap,

"Come here."

I sat down in his lap on the side so I could still face him. He had a lazy smile on his face, more evidence that he was exhausted. He kept his steady gaze on me, quietly admiring something.

"What is it?"

One of his hands moved from my waist to rest on my thigh.

"To think that out of everyone in this galaxy, I found someone so perfect like you."