Chapter 53 - Echoylir I

"Echoylir" = "To mourn and/or search"

Cold, nipping air surrounded him as the cover had retreated down to his waist. Silence as if the room waited for him to wake up whispered all around him. The Captain of the 501st turned over in the bed, sighing deeply as he began to wake. At least this morning he knew that there was no chance of getting dragged into an assignment. They were all headed to Coruscant for a break. The boys really deserve one, he thought to himself as he enjoyed the still morning. Though there was no breeze in the room, he felt a shiver run along his skin.

Turning on his side, his hand found the gaping air beside him. His eyes snapped open more awake now. Sitting up as his observant eyes wandered around the room, he found himself alone in her room. The air smelled faintly of her and he could see traces of her having moved around in it recently. The chair slightly propped out as if she had moved it to access her desk easier... the wardrobe door just slightly inching close as she had simply given it a gentle push, not bothering to close it fully... and a propped up note on the desk. He could see the curves of her handwriting, graceful yet slightly rushed as a few letters had corrections drawn on afterwards.

He knew what the note would say and it made him get up and start dressing without hesitation. Whilst pulling on his shirt, he had opened up the note so he could read it at the same time.

Rex,

You know it hurts to leave so silently, but this mission is for me and me alone to handle.

We both know that you would've insisted on going too if I had woken you up.

But this is not your fight.

I won't be gone for long and before you know it, we'll be causing mayhem in 79's with the other boys.

Until then,

I love you and always will, ner kar'ta.

Running past the troopers in casual garb milling about, he looked as if he had heard the deploying alarm go off. On instinct, some troopers that he passed tensed up and looked to the others around them to see if they had suddenly missed that they were going on assignment. But the alarm had not rang. He had simply felt it when he had realised that she was going away today. How, he did not know, but he had a bad feeling about her going alone.

Humming softly to myself, both in comfort and to try and keep my spirits up, my hands travelled around the datapad effortlessly. Checking fueling, systems data and running diagnostics to make sure it was up for the trip I had in mind. It was the blue Y-wing that had been hidden away far back. My own personal project that I had sensed so long ago would be destined for something greater than a junkyard on Bracca. All things I had done thousands of times before, if not even tens of thousands. Monotone things that seemed insignificant as you barely had to think whilst carrying out the task. But the simplest of things can have the greatest of impacts.

Rhythmic footsteps approached and it was a rhythm that my heart instantly recognised. It was the beat my heart carried whenever we were apart, until I could feel it vibrating through the ground and until I felt it underneath my fingertips against his warm skin. It was the rhythm of my Love.

"You thought you could leave me with a note, cyar'ika?" His tone was surprisingly light when he spoke up. Looking over my shoulder, I saw his endearing smirk and even though I had promised myself that morning to stay stubborn with him; I felt my facade slip just the faintest as our eyes met.