I'm the snow and he's the fire. I'll melt

Sunday October 23, 2022:

Esmee POV

∞∞∞∞∞∞

The jeep is rushing through the snow. Killian has total control the car.

We've been driving for ten minutes when he stops. We're in the middle of a forest.

I look at him, 'Trying to kill and bury me?'

He grins, 'Not today.'

I smile and step out of the car in the thick, white snow. The snow is so much more beautiful here. In the Netherlands it is always brown the day after it fell.

Killian takes my hand and guides me through the forest. He is very patient since I'm not as fast as he is.

He pushes branches out of the way and lifts me over stumps.

I almost fall three times. But Killian catches me when he sees my body move in a not so

planned way.

Unlike me who is buried under a pile of clothes, Killian walks only in a leather jacket.

How annoyingly unfair.

After half an hour of walking and talking we reach a frozen lake.

I stand still when I'm at the edge of the lake.

Wow, this place is beautiful.

A true winter wonderland.

The lake is big and when you look in the distance you see mountaintops.

On the other side of the leak stands a small cottage.

I look at Killian who is looking at me, 'What is this place?'

'Well...' Killian steps forward and places his hands behind his back. Which he seems to do a lot, 'After my grandfather left England, he spend years traveling the world. But then he came here, to this spot. He explained to me that this is the first place where he truly felt at home. And he knew he wanted to stay. That is why this place is special. It is a reminder of the origin of our family.' He looks at me with a clenched jaw.

I smile and look down, 'Thank you for showing me. This place is something else.'

He puts his arm around me, 'It is.' He looks at me with a look I cannot place.

Suddenly Killian gets a shocked look on his face, and he looks to the left side of the lake. His eyes are focused on something in the distance.

'What is...' But he puts his hand on my mouth.

'Sttt. Be quiet. I need to listen.'

He looks very concentrated.

After a few seconds he takes his hand off my mouth and looks at me, 'It is just a bear.'

Just a what?!

'UH. What is a what now?'

'Here. Look.' He turns me around so that I stand against his chest, looking at the left side of the lake.

He puts his arms protectively around me.

After a minute or so a bear appears from the forest walking towards the lake.

I hold in my breath and gaze in amazement at the animal.

'Wow.' I breath out.

Killian's lips come close to my ears, 'Sttt love. Be quiet.'