Candlelight and brown eyes

Saturday November 5 2022:

Killian POV

∞∞∞∞∞∞

These days went by rather quickly. Yet merely not quickly enough.

I loathe myself that I left Esmee in those unfortunate circumstances. Normally I would never abandon a woman in great need. Nor would I cause such a scandal. I am a man with dignity of course.

Unfortunately, I cannot change the rules of the world, nor time. Therefore, I have expectations in the business world that need to be met. If I do not meet those requirements, I am out of the game. And I need to be a provider, for my family and Esmee.

Her parents must hate me for being such a rake. A man without pride. Esmee told me herself, that her parents do not think highly of me.

This means my impression needs to be outstanding.

As I said they could not think lower of me, so the only way is up.

And besides who does not love me. Everyone I know either respects me or loves me. I am arrogant enough to admit that.

Even my enemies respect me. So how difficult can two simple adults be?

The past week Esmee and I talked on the phone daily. She prepped me for this day.

She told me almost everything there is to know about her parents.

She also gave me some personal material to memorize, to make the best possible impression.

I could tell that Esmee is highly stressed about the matter, but I reassured her that all will be well.

The only thing that still bothered me, is that I didn't know a fine place to meet my soon to be mother and father in law.

To my luck, Esmee is the most organized person, so she recommended a venue for us to meet and eat.

Here I am now, sitting at the backseat of my car, while being driven to restaurant Mail.

How the Dutch come up with the most horrendous names.

Do too busy traffic, I am five minutes late.

My chances of being presented as a respectful man are flushed down the drain. Now I must try even better.

The car stops in front of the well-lit-up restaurant.

I straighten my tie and take a deep breath. I walk forward and push through the glass doors.

The second the cold air is replaced by the warm air, I smell her.

She is on the left side of the restaurant. I also smell another scent. This one is much fresher and more natural. The scent most likely belongs to her mother.

One of the waitresses walks towards me to take in my name and guide me to my seat.

But I don't need any of that.

Without spearing her a glance, I walk towards the table that stands the most far away.

As if she knows my very presence, Esmee looks up and her eyes meet mine.

Her brown eyes hold so many emotions, somewhat between; Love, admiration, fear, worry and relieve of course.

With every step I take closer, I feel her presence more and more. I'm already so infected by her.