Chapter 12: Partners and Foes

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto.

The next day, Naruto awoke with a headache. He couldn't sleep last night, and when he finally slept, he was woken by a snake roaming near his window. After killing the snake, he fell back to sleep, only to wake up an hour later. This time, he couldn't sleep anymore, the sun had risen.

Just when he thought it couldn't get worse, as he was filling his mug with milk, the handle broke off and the glass mug fell to the floor. He was dumbfounded, looking back and forth between the broken mug on the floor and the mug handle on his hand.

Sighing, Naruto cleaned the mess and after eating breakfast, Naruto felt his stomach churn. Not because he had a stomach ache, but because his intuition was warning him.

Something was wrong.

'Fox, can you help me on this one?'

Left with no other choice, Naruto called his partner. Naruto and the nine tails had become friends over the last six years, but the fox wouldn't tell him his name. According to the nine tails, he would only tell him his name after Naruto becomes stronger.

For now, Naruto called the nine tails simply the "fox."

'How exactly do you want me to help?'

The nine tails replied, his lazy tone indicating that he just woke up.

'I have a bad feeling. As if someone wants to kill me, but I don't sense anyone. Not even negative emotions around me. That's the most suspicious part, there are no negative emotions around me. I think the civilians are either under genjutsu or they collectively went crazy.'

Scoffing at his own idea, Naruto answered the fox's question, 'Take over my body when I'm in danger. I'm certain that the enemy is a jonin, and I can't fight a jonin right now. Not with my combat experience.'

Naruto would fight the enemy himself and not call the fox if not for him not being able to sense the enemy. This told him that the enemy is an elite, and he could lose his life if he made a slight error.

'Are you sure? If I take over your body, the seal will open up,' the fox voiced his concerns.

'I'm sure. I can lock it again afterward. Thinking about it, I should've created a seal on top of your current seal so that your chakra won't leak into mine,' Naruto mused.

He couldn't remove the nine tails' seal before his chakra system matures as that would mean losing his kekkei genkai and the effectiveness of his blood.

'That's your problem. Anyway, just lift the lock on the seal and I'll take over your body when you're in a life-or-death situation. Don't resist it.'

'Okay, thank you, fox.'

'Don't sweat it.'

After his talk with the nine tails, Naruto bought a scroll, a brush, and a bottle of ink. Even if he wasn't the one going to fight the enemy, if he could retrieve the enemy's body, he would. Seeing the civilian's amiable behavior toward him, Naruto confirmed his suspicion and after creating a simple storage scroll to store dead bodies, Naruto went deep into a remote forest near the forest of death.

It's the perfect place to ambush him without alerting konoha's ninja, so it was perfect for baiting out the hidden enemy.

'The hokage is busy most of the time, so I don't need to worry about his spying technique. Likewise, even if he's not busy, I don't think he'll spy on me. After all, he wouldn't know where I am if not for his ANBU.'