60: Mist ANBU

Chapter 60: Mist ANBU

Arc: Kirigakure's Civil War

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto, please support the original work.

"What did you do—URGH!"

The man struggled, but he couldn't move no matter how hard he tried. Naruto only smiled at his plea.

"You see, I'm not exactly kind-hearted. Unlike Zabuza, who I thought was a murder demon, I'm a true demon," Naruto chuckled, his pupils turning red with a slit in the middle.

"Don't worry. I just hate that you tried to threaten me. I'm still your ally, and I'll take all of you to a safe place. The ride may be unpleasant, however."

Naruto smiled as the family of eight Yuki clan members disappeared one by one with a puff of smoke.

"Great. I can get out of here."

Naruto ran, throwing sealing tags on the ground and trees as he did so. The sealing tags were useful for removing traces or trails, and Naruto created them just before he left the cave. He was tired of having to manually erase his trail, so the sealing tag was a boon for him.

He named it the "concealing tag."

'There are ninjas nearby.'

Using his sensitive hearing, Naruto heard somebody landing on a tree not too far from him.

SHRRR—

Not long after, Naruto came to a complete halt. He didn't have to wait long before a ninja came into view. The ninja was wearing an ANBU mask as he looked around.

"Hmm."

The ANBU stopped, crouching down to smell the grass. Seeing this, Naruto frowned.

'Did he notice something?'

Then, he focused on his sense of hearing.

'I don't think there's anybody around. Might as well strike now!'

FOOSH—

As he silently jumped down from the tree and flickered behind the ANBU, Naruto took out a kunai and slit the ANBU's throat. The ANBU didn't even see who killed him before he dropped to the ground.

'No evidence.'

Naruto thought and sealed the ANBU and his blood into a scroll. Then, he threw a concealing tag on the ground. If the ANBU did notice something odd, Naruto would've been in trouble. That's why he killed him, even if his fears were incorrect.

'It's better to be safe than sorry.'

His eyes glistening in a cold light, Naruto resumed his retreat when a kunai suddenly struck his throat.

As Zabuza carried two unconscious people on his back, he ran at a fast pace toward the rendezvous they had agreed on. The rendezvous point they agreed on was a tattered inn that they bought at a cheap price.

'I wonder how Haku's doing.'

Zabuza's mind drifted elsewhere. His steps were silent, and he never stepped on the grass. He was jumping from tree to tree at a speed that Naruto would get jealous off. Zabuza trained all his life to perfect the art of silent killing, so his technique was far above Naruto's.

Just as he was thinking, Zabuza suddenly heard faint footsteps approaching him.

'We were found out? How?'