40: Chunin Exams (12): Return of the Crimson Hair

Chapter 40: Chunin Exams (12): Return of the Crimson Hair.
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto.

"BEGIN!"

'Tsk. Benjiro is proficient with wind style, but his main affinity is water nature. That's totally not suspicious.'

FOOSH—THUMP.

"Shikamaru-san, why are you moving away?" Benjiro raised his left eyebrow before narrowing his eyes. He seemed to be lost in thought.

"None of your business," I said and watched Benjiro shrug his shoulders. "It is. You're my opponent, after all," Benjiro said.

"Well, you shouldn't put too much effort," I suggested and the other boy laughed. "Please don't joke around, Shikamaru-san," Benjiro said and jumped back.

SWIIISH...

"Damn," I cursed and stopped pouring my chakra into my shadow.

"Did you really think that would work?" Benjiro asked and looked at the pitch-black shadow moving like a snake on the ground. It retracted and crawled around before slowly returning to Shikamaru.

SWOOSH!

"No," Shikamaru said and threw a kunai wrapped in a red piece of paper.

Benjiro shook his head and jumped further away. He owned hundreds of those red tags. He even owned some of its enhanced versions, so he can recognize them at a glance.

BOOM!

Just as the kunai reached where Benjiro was, it exploded and upturned the soil below.

"What a waste of kunai," Benjiro clicked his tongue. "Oh well, Wind Style: Vacuum Blades!"

ZUIIIIII—

'Vacuum Blades?'

SWOOSH! SHRIKKK—

I narrowed my eyes, watching as the blades slice through the hem of my shirt. 'As expected, they're fast.'

"Aren't you afraid of running out of chakra?"

It was well-known in our class that Benjiro had a small chakra reserve.

"I have a plan," Benjiro laughed. "Well, I hope your plan is worth the risk," I smirk and Benjiro narrowed his eyes. Then, he crouched and stared at me with his full attention.

ZIIP! In a flash, Benjiro took out four kunai from his ninja pouch and threw them at me. Seeing the rapidly approaching kunai, I take out a kunai to parry the one that was aimed at my head. CLANG!

"Wind Style: Air Blast!" As soon as the fourth kunai was deflected, I saw Benjiro throwing eight kunai with both hands, followed by Benjiro yelling out a ninjutsu.

"Tsk."

'There's no way to block those.'

Left with no choice, I jumped sideways only to see another eight kunai hurling toward me.

"Damn!"

I bent backward, my body becoming parallel with the ground as I watch the kunai pass me by an inch.

'Too close,' I thought while rolling backward. Looking back at Benjiro, my eyes twitched.

'Damn it, just how many kunai does he plan to...?'