35: Chunin Exams (7): Dropping a Mask, and Divulging Another

Chapter 35: Chunin Exams (7): Dropping a Mask, and Divulging Another.
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto.

PLEASE READ!

End Banner has something to say: There was some confusion as to why my story was "inconsistent" after chapter 9. The reason chapters 1 to 9 are a little different from the rest of the story is that they've been rewritten, and we decided on my Patreon page that we'll stop rewriting chapters for now. I'll rewrite chapters again after the story is finished, until then, sorry for the confusion!

In the middle of the night, Konoha's streets were empty. The lights from houses were turned off, and only a few stores were still open. Suddenly, Jiraiya stopped in front of a shop with glass walls.

"What do your friends like?" He asked. I look at the shop, and my brows instantly furrowed. The shop sold clothes. Not just any clothes, the boutique sold "adult" clothes.

I send a sideways glance at Jiraiya and asked, "What are you trying to do?"

"Listen to me." Jiraiya gestured and pinched his clothes, while crouching a little and said, "These clothes are excellent for spying, you see—"

I elbowed him. "My friends aren't spies, and they don't have that hobby."

"Well..." Jiraiya scratched the back of his head and looked at me. "You can use it."

"I'm a man. Those are female clothing," I point out.

"But as I said, it's for a disguise—"

I sent him a glare. "Listen here, you perverted bastard," I growled, "I'm not going to entertain your weird hobbies!"

"If you say so," Jiraiya glanced at me and laughed, approaching the counter with a nasty grin on his face. "Excuse me, pretty miss."

The lady behind the counter eyed Jiraiya from head to toe and frowned. "What may I do for you?"

My eyes twitched. 'Does she not recognize the legendary toad sannin?'

"How much are those?" Jiraiya pointed at the lingeries next to the counter. The lady followed Jiraiya's pointed finger and saw the lingeries, her eyebrows twitching as if a fantasy had started in her head. "All of them?" She asked.

Before Jiraiya could answer, I pulled on his sleeve. "Hey, just so you don't forget," I gave him a sharp glance, "I won't accept any of those if that's what you're planning."

"Yeah, yeah, sure you won't," Jiraiya waved me off.

"This guy..." I mumble.

As we walked in the streets, I notice something strange. "I guess you were telling the truth," I say to Jiraiya.

He nodded with a frown. "I wouldn't lie about something this serious," Jiraiya glanced at the shopping bags hanging from my arms. I saw his gaze and frowned. "What?"

"Nothing," Jiraiya snickered. "Just so you know, I won't wear these," I shake the shopping bags.

"I don't expect you to," Jiraiya shrugged. "But who knows? Maybe you'll need them one day. Like, for example," Jiraiya wriggled his brows, "when you're in bed with your—"

"SHUT UP!" This damned old pervert!

"Okay, okay, I'll stop," Jiraiya finally retreated. "But regarding the empty streets, this is normal in the village," Jiraiya explained. "You just didn't know about it because you never went out at night when you were younger."