Chapter 14: Menma and Hinata

Chapter 14: The Boy Named Menma, Hinata's Resolve.
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto.

Author's Note: This is my favorite chapter so far.

Rustle... Chirp! Chirp! Chirp!

Fooooo—

". . ."

Five minutes went by since Orochimaru got caught in the Four Repeating Nightmare Seal, but he was still unmoving. I know that curiosity killed the cat, but I couldn't help but observe Orochimaru to see if he would break free from the seal.

After all, I could use this weakness in the future.

Despite staying near Orochimaru to observe him, I didn't grow a second soul. I can't play with my life, so I rigged the whole area with more than a dozen Explosive Scrolls. If he makes one move, he'll die. If he breathes too fast, he'll die. If he glares at me, he'll die.

Needless to say, Orochimaru was in trouble.

Poof!

But I didn't expect that Orochimaru would vanish without a trace. None of the triggers went off, so it meant that Orochimaru did nothing, yet he still vanished in a puff of smoke.

"What was that?"

At Orochimaru's disappearance, my whole body tensed as I got ready to activate all the defensive seals I drew around me. 'Substitution Technique? But there are no logs nearby...'

To be specific, the nearest forest was a kilometer away. He and Orochimaru were currently on a rocky field. This place had so many boulders, but not a single twig.

'Hold on, is it possible to use the Substitution Technique with other objects aside from logs? I have to study this technique when I settle down.'

Helpless, I could only draw more defensive scrolls around me and wait. Who knew if Orochimaru was waiting nearby? I won't make the same mistake twice, where I mocked Orochimaru for turning his back toward me, only for me to close my eyes in front of Orochimaru.

That still makes me blush in embarrassment, maybe I won't forget it for the rest of my life.

"Is that him, the suspicious person you talked about?" A ninja wearing a blank, white mask asked. He was wearing the standard outfit for assassins, everything was lightweight and dark in color.

"Yes. He'd been sitting there for an hour already," a ninja beside him replied. He was wearing the same outfit as the first ninja.

They were sitting on top of a thick, tree branch. More than half a kilometer away, a boy with brown hair was crouched behind a pointy rock. About a couple hundred meters away in front of the boy were more than a dozen of scrolls.

"What's he doing?" The first masked ninja asked, "I don't know," the second ninja replied.

They waited for another thirty more minutes when they saw the boy standing up and picking the scrolls on the ground a couple of hundred meters away. Then, the scrolls disappeared when they touched the boy's waist.

"What was that?" The first ninja asked, "That should be a storage scroll. Is he a fuuinjutsu expert?"

"He should be," the other ninja replied. Only regular storage scrolls were sold in the market. You had to open them before you can store something inside. Only fuuinjutsu experts can modify a storage scroll, so their guess was justified.

Then, they looked at each other and nodded before turning into streaks of shadow. They were heading toward the boy who was now walking toward the east.

"Halt. State your identity!"