𝟐.𝟎𝟓 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙡 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬

Season 2, episode 5

✦✧✦✧

The next morning, Sophie sat with the girls at their usual lunch table, huddled around the picture of the suicide note Emily had taken. 

"Is this a suicide note or a confession?" Aria asked. 

"It's both" Spencer said, "Emily, how do you have this?"

"I sent it to her" Hanna said, "I took a picture of it before we called the cops"

"Nice to know that when I was throwing up you was having a photo shoot" Sophie smiled sarcastically at the blonde. 

"It's weird" Emily shook her head, "why would Ian kill himself when he was about to skip town with Melissa?"

"Maybe he realised he was gonna get caught" Spencer suggested, "he couldn't hide forever. Even with Wren and Melissa's help"

"He was probably desperate" Aria added. 

"Look, who care's why Ian did it? The important thing is, Ali's killer is dead and we are no longer people of interest" Sophie snapped, fed up of the conversation. 

She thought she would have been glad that the person responsible for Ali's death was caught, better dead. However, there was an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Something didn't make sense. 

"Why am I not feeling relieved right now?" Emily said. 

"Oh, Em, come on" Aria sighed, "for months we've been as welcome in this town as a cold sore. Now people know we are telling the truth. And Ian is out of our lives for good"

"Yeah, but A isn't" Emily pointed out. 

"Can we please just slay one dragon at a time?" Spencer sighed, "Hey". The girl's followed Spencer's gaze to see Garrett walking over to them. 

"Hey" he smiled at them. 

"What are you doing here?" Sophie asked him. 

"I came to return some evidence we took from the field hockey office" he explained, "hey - look, I just wanted to say I'm - I'm sorry that you had to be the ones to find him"

"Melissa was the one who found him" Spencer said. 

"I'm sorry" Garrett said again, "but it could have been worse"

"What do you mean?" Aria asked. 

"Bodies decay. He's been dead for at least a week" Sophie felt the blood drain from her head, "give my best to your family"

"Yeah" Spencer nodded, barely looking at him as he walked away. 

"A week?" Hanna whispered, "no. That's not possible. He was texting Melissa"