𝟑.𝟐𝟑 𝙄'𝙢 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙥𝙪𝙥𝙥𝙚𝙩

season 3, episode 23

✦✧✦✧

Sophie didn't quite know how to act as she walked through the halls of Radley Sanitarium. She silently followed the nurse into one of the visiting rooms, walking next to Emily. 

A part of her blamed herself for Spencer's breakdown. She should've known that something serious was going on, how could she have been so stupid to ignore the signs? Instead of being there for her friend, Sophie hadn't been able to put her own grudge aside and it made Spencer spiral. 

"You have visitors, Spencer?" the nurse called out as they walked into the room, "I'll be in the hall if you need me"

Sophie slowly walked further into the room and she felt as though her heart skipped a beat when she looked at Spencer. The four girls silently sat down at the same table Spencer was seated at. 

"Hey, you knew we were coming, right?" Emily asked carefully, being the first to break the silence, "We spoke with your mom" 

"We wanted to be here the first day" Aria continued. 

"But she said you were gonna be home tomorrow so..." Emily added on, her voice still gentle as she trailed off. 

"She still believes that?" Spencer scoffed, her tone harsh, "she thinks I'll be able to sleep through the night if I take a nice bubble bath and lay in my own bed?"

"I think what she wants is-" 

"I know what she wants" Spencer snapped, cutting Emily off, "but they don't make a loofa that scrapes out the inside of your head"

"The park rangers found a body" Hanna said suddenly. 

"Hanna!" the three girls scolded, heads snapping to glare at the blonde. 

"What?" Hanna shot back, "the sooner she knows, the sooner she checks on"

"I don't think that's how it works, Han" Sophie mumbled lowly. 

"What Hanna is trying to say is we have good news" Emily said slowly, trying to save the situation from blowing up even more. 

"They found a body in the woods" Aria continued, "the police believe it was a camper"

"It was Toby" 

"No, Spence, it wasn't" Sophie said slowly, shaking her head as she spoke. 

"This person, he'd been missing for a while, and he was nowhere near where you thought you saw" Aria added on. 

"I know what I saw" Spencer said harshly, "it was Toby"

"Hey, so, um, I was thinking tomorrow night when you get home, we could all-"

"I need to stay here" Spencer said, her voice still harsh as she cut Aria off once more, "I need more time"

"Time for what?" Hanna snapped at her again.