𝟑.𝟐𝟒 𝘼 𝙙𝘼𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙨 𝙜𝘼𝙢𝙚

season 3, episode 24

✦✧✦✧

Awkward was the first word that came to mind when she thought about how she felt right now. Herself, Hanna, Aria and Emily sat in the Hastings kitchen, waiting for Spencer – who had just been released from Radley – to come downstairs. 

Of course, the Hastings had gone full out with Spencer's return home, the spread of food placed delicately on the kitchen island looked like something you would find in one of those posh, high-end magazines. The finest silverware and china set was placed neatly on one end of the table – right next to the array of jugs sitting at the edge of the table. 

There was an array of different sandwiches – salmon, cream cheese, ham, cheese, all cut perfectly into small, identical triangles on a silver tray. Right next to the sandwiches was a bowl of pears, melons and grapes, all cut in a fancy way that Sophie couldn't understand. And finally, a stand was placed in the middle of the table. Each layer of the stand had a selection of fresh pastries, English muffins, cupcakes and tiny macaroons. 

The Hastings went all out – that was a fact. 

But despite all of the food spread out in front of her, Sophie wasn't at all hungry. She felt sick. Literally. And she felt like she hadn't slept in weeks (which really, she hadn't to be honest) due to the constant anxiety and fear she had been feeling. Not to mention that every time she closed her eyes she had that same, dreaded nightmare. 

And then there was the fact that her bed felt so cold since Jason left. 

Jason. 

The one person Sophie had been trying to push out of her mind for the past two weeks. She barely had time to process her break-up with Jason with everything else that had been going on, and honestly, she was glad for it. She didn't want to spend weeks crying alone in her bed, wishing things would have turned out differently. She didn't want to feel the pain of him leaving her again. 

She simply didn't want to accept it. 

And so, Sophie did what Sophie does best. She blocked it all out and acted like it didn't happen. But that only worked during the day. At night, when she was alone in her bed, there was nothing to stop her mind from wondering back towards that blonde haired boy she loved more than anything else in the world. 

Sophie was tired, and even though she would never admit it, the girls were slowly starting to notice just how tired their blonde friend was becoming. 

"Do you think she knows we're down here?" Hanna asked, sucking in a breath as she snapped Sophie back into reality. 

"Maybe she's just as nervous about seeing us as we are about seeing her" Emily suggested, staring down at the table. 

"Guys, she's the same exact Spencer that we saw last week" Aria tried to reason. 

"No, the Spencer we saw in Radley was not the Spencer I know" Hanna said rather bluntly.