6. Last week!

Prisha

I am sitting in my cabin looking at a few case files. It's my last week here. Later I will join my dad's hospital. I am going to move in with my parents. Papa rented this apartment for me as I used to have many night shifts during my internship and he felt it was not safe for me to travel during the night. Now I can finally go back to my home. Of course, I will miss this place. I have a lot of memories here.

My chain of thoughts broke when I heard a knock at the door. I asked the person to come in.

"Dr. Prisha! You wanted to see me?" Dr. Ramya walked in.

"Yes! Here are some case files which Mamatha ma'am asked me to handle  you!" I said to her.

"We will miss you Prisha!" She said.

"I will miss you all too!" I replied with the same smile and she went away.

Aditya! I didn't meet him after that day. Aarav often speaks about Pihu. Aditya is constantly in my brain these days. What are you doing to me, man?

I wanted to distract myself so I decided to go on rounds of the wards. I grabbed my stethoscope and started my rounds.

I met my little hero Aarav on my way and he insisted on going to a park.

I completed my work and took him to a park near my hospital.

We are sitting on a bench and the cool breeze is touching my face relaxing my nerves.

Aarav wanted to play and asked me to catch him. I stood up and started chasing him.

"Catch me, Angel!" He said running.

"I will hero!" I started running behind him.

I am chasing him and suddenly I slipped over some twigs. I closed my eyes and got ready to face the fall. But it never came. I felt a pair of strong arms around my waist holding me in place. I slowly opened my eyes peeking into the brown orbs looking at me full of concern.

"Are you alright?" He asked checking me.

"Yeah, thank you!" I mumbled pushing my hair strands back.

"Chachu! Angel!" We heard a squeal. It's little Pihu.

"Ha, bachcha!" He kneeled and picked her in his arms. She forwarded her hands towards me asking me to take her in my embrace which I did gladly.

"What about me?" Aaryan asked pouting cutely.

Aditya took him in his hands.

Pihu pecked my cheek and Aaryan did the same with Aditya.

Aditya got a call and left with Pihu and we too returned to the hospital, I went back to my flat and started my packing.

I packed a few more bags and went to bed. I didn't even know when sleep engulfed me.

I woke up the next morning with the second most irritating sound in the world. My alarm! This alarm is the villain of my love story with my bed.

I did my morning chores and got ready for my day.

I left for my hospital. I explained a few cases to the doctors who will take over my cases after I leave but I will be handling the complicated cases.

I completed my rounds and came to my cabin. I have to do some documentation. I hate this part the most! But I have to do it so that it can help my and others' work easy. I started drafting work when a nurse came to inform me about the deteriorating health of Aaravs' mother.

I ran towards the operation theatre where she is taken to. She is suffering from Gastric varices. They are dilated submucosal in the stomach. She joined the hospital when she vomited blood. They didn't notice it initially as it causes no symptoms unless they rupture and bleed.  After running tests, we came to know she is also having thrombosis of the splenic vein.

We started with injecting cyanoacrylate glue at first but later we started with a radiological procedure to decrease the pressure in the portal vein. But it showed no improvement. 

I checked her vitals and decided to go for a splenectomy.

"Get her to OT. We have to perform the splenectomy. Inform Dr. Shrivastav and Dr. Agarwal." I instructed the nurse.

I went out to talk to her husband. Aarav is crying and it's breaking my heart to see this little angel cry.

"Trust your angel!" I said patting his cheeks to which he nodded wiping his tears. His grandmother took him away leaving me alone with his father.

"How's she, doctor?" He asked looking at me with hopeful eyes.

"She needs surgery. We will start it soon. Please fill out the required form!" I informed him.

"Will she be alright?" He asked with teary eyes.

"I promise!" I said holding his folded hands and walked away to change my clothes.

I entered the OT after getting ready for the surgery.

"Heartrate?" I asked the head nurse.

"Normal. We are good to go" She said.

Dr. Shrivastav administered general anesthesia and we waited for her to get unconscious. Once she is unconscious we made five small incisions as we are going for laparoscopic. Then the laparoscope is inserted into one of the incisions. I found the blood vessels leading to and from the spleen and clipped them.

"Make sure we have blood available!" I said and my junior nodded in agreement.

I cut the spleen away from other structures of the body by manipulating the surgical tools through the incisions. We placed the spleen in a sterile bag. We enlarged an incision slightly and pulled the spleen out making sure no pieces of the spleen can break off and remain in the abdominal cavity which can cause serious infection.

After we made sure there is no bleeding we removed the instruments and closed the incision using surgical glue, and small adhesive bandage strips.

"Take her to the post-op recovery room," I instructed the nurse and left from there.

I took a shower and changed back into my morning clothes.

I heard a knock at my door and muttered come in. Aarav entered meekly.

"Hey, Hero!" I waved at him and he ran towards me and hugged me tight.

I picked him up and made him sit on my lap.

"Angel, will mom be alright?" He asked with teary eyes.

"Of course bachcha you can take her home tomorrow.!" I said smiling at him to make him feel at ease.

"I love you!" He said wrapping his little arms around my neck and pecking my cheek.

"Love you too hero!" I said holding his back.