13. You are my hero!

Prisha

I am sitting in the living room constantly changing the channels as I didn't like anything which is on air right now. I would have slept by now if I am not waiting for Aditya to come back and have his dinner. Where he has been?

I looked at the clock and it is 11 pm. I decided to go out and check once as I don't have his number to call. Yes, I don't have his number. Well, if I ask for his number he may think I am perverting so I didn't dare to ask for his number even though we became very close in these months. I was waiting for him to ask mine but he never did. I could have taken his number from anyone else but again they will start assuming things.

I walked out and noticed his car parked. 

"If he's home why didn't come to have dinner? Did he feel awkward? But these two families always ate at each other's place!" I thought to myself. But decided to go and call him to have dinner.

I walked towards his home after locking the main door.

The door is wide open. I know he's a police officer but he doesn't need to be so confident to open the door this wide!

I walked in like a small kitten. I just hope he doesn't shoot me thinking that I am some thief!

I climbed the stairs as I couldn't find him down. His room lights are off but the door is open. Is he sleeping? I decided to check once.

When I entered the room what I saw made me freeze in my place. All things are shattered and thrown everywhere. He is sitting on the floor with his legs folded up and hands on his knees.

I couldn't see anything as it is very dark and there is no moonlight either. I walked to him in slow steps making sure not to step on anything.

I went near him and called him twice. He didn't respond. I shook him a little. 

"Aditya! Aditya!" I said shooking him. It broke his trance.

"I failed!" That's all he said.

"Aditya get up first! Let's go out of here!" I said trying to get up but he held my wrist and pulled me down. I am now on my knees in front of him.

Before I could process anything he hugged me and started crying.

"I failed to protect her Prisha! I failed!" He cried out.

I am rubbing his back while he is crying his heart out. This is the first time I am seeing him this vulnerable. But then I noticed something wet on my back. 

I pulled his arms front and touched them to notice as I can't see anything. His hand is bleeding!

I pulled him up and dragged him out. No, he let me do it because I couldn't do it if he opposed it.

I made him sit on the couch and turned on the lights. I rushed down and bought a first-aid kit. I cleaned his wounds and bandaged them but all the while he is just sitting there like a stone.

"Aditya! What happened?" I asked him making him look into my eyes.

He explained everything and pulled me closer and started crying again. But now I am standing and he's sitting on the couch so he is hugging my waist with his head on my stomach.

We treat them as our heroes and respect them. Sometimes we blame them when something goes wrong! We will not try to stop something wrong from happening in front of our eyes. We will not care if someone is being beaten, kidnapped, raped, or killed in front of us, but we expect police and government to magically catch and punish all the criminals within seconds.

It creates so much pressure on them to protect and safeguard every citizen. They spend sleepless nights trying to find the culprit and sometimes risk their lives to catch them but it will not take a few seconds to blame them for everything nor does it take minutes for those criminals to escape using the loopholes in the law or by bribing some corrupted politicians or employees.

He is crying in my arms miserably for not being able to save that girl. I wish I can take away all his pain and guilt.

"Adi! Shhh... It's not your fault!" I said cupping his cheeks and wiping his tears with my thumbs.

"It was my fault Prisha! I couldn't  save that girl and that murderer escaped again!" He said looking into my eyes. The eyes that held power, dominance, and spark are now fluffed and are filled with darkness.

"No Adi! You tried your best to save her! And it's not your mistake. But you have to catch that criminal before he can commit another crime! That's your responsibility. It's your responsibility to save another innocent life from being murdered, it's your responsibility to provide justice to all those people who died in the hands of that murderer and I know you will do it." I said pushing back his hair that is falling on his forehead.

"Do you trust me Prisha?" He asked turning his gaze down.

"I trust you more than anyone Adi!" I said raising his chin up.

"Why?" He asked looking into my eyes.

"Because... You are my hero Adi! You will always be!" I replied. I wish I can say how much I like him and how I trust him over anyone else.

"I am not a hero Prisha! I would have saved that girl if I was a hero!" He said clenching his fists.

"Even Bhagwan Shri Ram couldn't stop Seetha maa's abduction. Do you know why? It was fate, Adi. Seetha Maa's abduction was necessary to end the evil of Ravan as it was his biggest sin, his last straw. Similarly, this girl's death was the last straw for that murderer to face your destruction mode, Adi! Make him pay for his every crime!" I tried to motivate him.

"Thank you!" He said with a weak smile.

I kissed his forehead.

"Come have something and sleep!" I said and took his arm and dragged him to my home as I didn't want him to say no.

He sat at the table but is not eating. I took a morsel and kept it near his mouth. He looked at me for a few seconds and then opened his mouth. I fed him and then gave him a painkiller.

"Take rest Aditya!"  I  said to him before he left.

I too went to my room and soon sleep engulfed me.