12. A murder!

Aditya

I came home and headed to my room. It's quite late so everyone else had their dinner. I took a quick shower and walked down. Maa is waiting for me. She does it every time even when I ask her to sleep. I took my place and she served the dinner.

"Adi!" She called me when I am having my dinner. I looked up at her.

"Ha maa!" I asked.

"We are planning to go on a trip. Will you be free to join us?" she asked with eyes full of hope.

"No maa! A new case came up and I have to be here to solve it." I replied though I felt bad. I have to stay here to solve this case as soon as possible.

"Okay!" She replied with a heavy voice.

"Maa we will go on a trip as soon as I solve this case. I promise!" I said holding her hand. She ruffled my hair and mouthed an okay.

I completed my dinner and went to my room. My eyes fell on the opposite window where she stood lost in thoughts. But the smile on her face says she is happy.

I don't know what has gotten into me that I kept looking at her. She is so lost in her thoughts to notice my presence. Her long hair is falling on her face due to the breezes and I have developed a sudden urge to push them away. I am just standing here looking at her beautiful smile.

After some time she turned off the light and went to bed. I too turned off my lights and went to sleep.

The next morning when I completed my chores and came down I was hell shocked. My family members are so busy packing even to acknowledge my presence. Where are they going?

I cleared my throat to gain their attention which I attained after some time.

"Where are you people going?" I asked looking at the luggage they packed.

"I don't know what has gotten into your mom that she is dragging us to Shimla all of a sudden!" papa spoke and earned a glare from Maa.

"Maa I told you that we will go after solving my case na?" I asked in a confused tone.

"We will go then too! But I want to go now!" She chirped like a small kid.

Before I could say something Bhavya came in.

"Aunty! Mom asked you to come for breakfast if you are done packing." She said getting in.

"We are done beta! Let's go!" She said and moved out and everyone followed the queue including me. 

We went in and I noticed the packed bags here too. What are these besties up to? Why do they suddenly want to go on a trip?

"Oh, you are here! Come let's have breakfast!" Aunty said and we took our seats after wishing each other good morning.

Where is she though? Why isn't she here?

"Where is Prisha?" Nihal asked gaining everyone's attention.

"Getting ready!" Uncle replied. So, is she also going with them?

Soon she came down wearing a kurta and jeans. She wished everyone good morning with a smile and took her seat which is opposite me.

We all had our breakfast and she was the first one to get up. We washed our hands and sat in the living room as I want to leave for work after they leave.

"Dad, have you packed your medicines?" she asked her dad.

"Yes beta, I packed my medicines, your mom packed her shawl, your bhai charged his mobile and power bank, and your bhabi packed food for all of us. Anything else?" Her dad asked in a dramatic tone to which she raised a brow and everyone fell into fits of laughter.

"I was just making sure papa!" She reasoned.

"Don't worry Prisha! We have everything. You take care of yourself!" Adhvik bhai said. Isn't she going with them? Wait, Why do I care?

"Okay, bhai! I'll miss you all! Enjoy your trip!" she said hugging her brother. Then she hugged everyone else.

"Adi have your meals here! Prisha will cook!" Aunty said. 

"It's okay Aunty, I don't want to trouble her!" I said looking down nervously. Wow, DCP Aditya Birla is nervous!

"There is no trouble beta! She has to cook for herself anyhow!" Aunty said and this time I just nodded in agreement.

"Does she know how to cook?" Bhai asked looking at her with doubtful eyes.

"Why bhai? Can't I cook?" she asked faking hurt.

"I mean you always have a lot of work. From where did you get time to learn and cook?" Bhai spoke out.

"She is a great cook! By the way, the panner you both brothers completed without leaving a single piece for others is made by her!" Maa said making me feel embarrassed. Well, that panner butter masala was so yummy that I ended up eating everything along with bhai.

"That was delicious!" Bhai spoke dreamily.

"We are getting late! Shall we go?" Advith asked to which everyone nodded and moved out. 

"Mom prepared your lunch. Take it while leaving!" She said to which I nodded in agreement.

After that, we both left for our work. 

We got a new case on which I and Nihal are working currently.  

There are few murders but there is no connection between the victims except the doll that we found near their bodies.

I and Nihal along with Inspector Mathur are discussing the case when one of the constables knocked on the door and entered.

"Jai Hind Sir!" He saluted to which we nodded.

"Sir, a girl called the control room saying she is feeling like someone is there in her home. She said she saw a weird doll in her room." He said panting.

"Are you thinking the same?" Nihal asked to which I nodded and we ran out immediately.

We reached the location in 20 min and went in after loading our guns. 

When we entered we saw the girl lying in a pool of blood. We spread out to inspect the house. I saw a man jumping the wall. I immediately ran out and started chasing him.

He started running faster when he noticed me. He is wearing a hood and black clothes which are covering him properly.

I chased him into some narrow roads and when I almost caught him a truck came in between and he escaped. 

"Damn it!" I cursed and took note of the truck number.

I went back to the girl's home and Nihal informed me that she is no more.

I feel angry and disappointed in myself for not being able to protect the girl. In earlier murders, we didn't know who was being targeted but in this case, I knew it was her yet I failed to protect her. 

I feel incapable to be called a police officer!

I fucking let that bastard run away and the girl here is dead!