t w e n t y f o u r

t w e n t y f o u r.

The sun was shining through the window when I woke up. I hoped it would be a good day because I had a peaceful week going good for me. Black Ice hasn't contacted me since the night of the shooting at the club.

Hopefully, that was the last I will ever hear from him.

Getting ready for work is a great feeling knowing I am finally employed at a place where I belong. I have my own small cubical, my own computer and a job I love to do.

"Good morning!" Bailey chirps. The kitchen is as clean as I have ever seen it and she looks the happiest I have seen her in weeks.

"What's going on with you this morning?"

"Oh, nothing. Just the happiest I have ever been." She sings. At that second, Daniel walks into the kitchen with nothing but a blue robe on.

When he sees me, he smiles and Bailey scolds him for not putting proper clothes on.

"Now I see why you are so happy." I haven't seen Daniel at the apartment for days, and I can only assume it's because they did a bit of making up activities last night.

Just when I'm grabbing my coffee mug to head out, Bailey calls me right back into the kitchen.

"What?" I ask.

She steps closer to me and holds her hand out; a small, cylinder container sitting in the palm of her hand with a nozzle at the top.

It takes me a moment to realize it is pepper spray.

"Pepper spray?" I arch an eyebrow.

"Something you might need...just in case."

"Bailey, I don't think-"

"Just take it." She grabs my hand and places it in my palm. "You never know...especially with Black Ice roaming about."

Her words sink deep into my skull. It's true. I could use some protection and it's great that Bailey is thinking of me and my safety. It would be stupid of me to not take it at this point.

"Thank you." I drop it into my purse.

"Yeah, sure. Have a good day at work."

And with those words, I leave.

******

Samuel & Brian's Publishing House is huge and it can be a bit overwhelming walking into a building where everyone who has a job is significantly older than you and far more experienced.

By now, I've learned to deal with it more.

I find how difficult of a task it is to focus on my work today. My mind constantly keeps drifting off to Harry and how I am going to see him tomorrow and spend nine whole days with him in New York.

"Good morning Lana." My boss, Samuel King, comes to my cubical and leans against the wall; a perfect smile plastered on his face.

"Good morning Mr.King."

"Please, I've told you to call me Samuel." He walks closer and leans over to look at my computer screen.

His arm is balancing himself on my table and his face is too close to mine for comfort. "You always work so diligently. I admire you for that, you know."

I feel his face tilt toward mine and I'm afraid if I turn to look at him, our lips would be merely touching.

"Thank you, Samuel." I reply, feeling uncomfortable in my position. This isn't the first time he's been too close or have said things a little flirtatious.