t h r e e

t h r e e.

Lana's POV:

"Hi," he manages to say after a forever. His voice sounds the same; deep, raspy, low. It used to drive all the girls insane in high school.

I'm lost, completely overwhelmed with shock. This was not suppose to happen. Not tonight, not ever. Once I stopped talking to Harry three years ago, I spent days locked in my room, reading books or writing just to drift my thoughts away from him. I know it was wrong of me to ignore his existence as if he was never a huge turning point in my life, but I was leaving to Columbia in a few months and I had decided to start a new life in New York. It was as if moving to New York was opening up a new chapter in my life and it would be almost impossible to do so with Harry still in the picture.

So I ignored his calls, deleted his messages, changed my number and fled to New York and never allowed myself to stop for just one moment and feel the pain of cutting Harry off. Until now.

"Wow," I smile, not genuinely. "Look at you. Living the dream." I always knew I'd see Harry like this even if it was on the MTV Music Awards or on magazine covers, I knew he'd be famous eventually. Harry Styles; even his name sounds like a damn superhero's name.

"Yeah," he laughs breathlessly.

"How have you been?"

He flinches as if I had said the wrong thing. "I've been good."

"Good," I nod.

"How's Columbia treating you?"

"It's great."

He smiles, but it never does reach his eyes. "We should meet up sometime. It's been too long."

"We definitely should," Or not. I don't know.

"I can't believe it's you, Lana." he says, his eyes trailing up and down; absorbing the new me. "You look different."

"As do you," I sigh. This is just small talk. "But I guess three years will do that to you." At that moment, I feel a hand on the small of my back and I whip around to see Tyler. The last two minutes that he has been gone now feels like an eternity. He hands me my cup of coffee and I silently thank him again. Harry's eyes move from my golden ones to Tyler's hand wrapped around my waist and something in his eyes darken.

"Uh- Tyler, this is Harry; an old friend from high school." I introduce the two.

"Finally, I get to meet someone from Lana's old days. Nice to meet you." He shakes Harry's hands and Tyler is oblivious to the fact that Harry rolls his eyes in annoyance of his presence. Harry never liked guys like Tyler; the kind of guys with who wore button ups no matter what the occasion, the kind of guys with perfectly combed hair, the kind of guys with sperrys for footwear.

"I should get going. The night awaits me." Harry says, but his eyes hold something sad in them as he holds my gaze. "I should...yeah. Uh-"

"Harry!" I hear a woman yell and I look past Harry to a tall blond, dressed in a short red dress who is walking over to where we are standing. She has such a strong and thick British accent and she looks oddly familiar. "You were supposed to meet me by the fucking hot dog cart an hour ago!"

"Give me one fucking minute, Redd."

But Redd doesn't oblige. She clings to Harry's arm and her eyes meet mine. "Who are these cuties, bub?"

"This is Lana and Travis."

"It's Tyler."

"Yeah, what I said." Harry shrugs, clenching his jaw at the same time.