Chapter 13- Hospital

I opened my eyes and was greeted by a bright light and beeping machines. I sat up and moaned. My head hurt so much. It felt like ten thousand pounds. I looked around me and saw a wheelchair, a stretcher, beeping machines, and needles and I was wearing a hospital gown. I was in a hospital.

A nurse in the room I didn't realize was there heard me and rushed over to my side with a relieved expression on her face.

"Oh, good! You're awake! How do you feel?", she asked.

"Terrible!", I moaned. "My head hurts. What happened?".

"The doctor can explain that for you later. Right now, I have some questions to ask you to determine or not you have amnesia".

"Amnesia?" What happened?".

"Like I said, the doctor can explain that to you later", she said, then started playing twenty one questions with me.

"Full name?".

"Andrea Michelle Neilsen".

"Parents' names?".

"Andrew and Michelle Neilsen".

"Guardians' names?".

"Samuel and Linda Thompson".

"Date of Birth?".

"June 20th, 1995".

"Place of Birth?".

"St. John's Hospital in Springfield, Illinois, Chicago".

"What's the last thing you remember?".

I paused and thought for a minute. "I was surfing", I started. "But waves attacked me. I felt like I was going to drown. Then, I hit my head on something hard, then everything just went black".

The nurse checked off some stuff on her clipboard before saying, "Okay. There's no sign of amnesia and the doctor will be right over to explain everything". Then, she walked out of the room.

I laid back down and tried to remember what had happened the last twenty four hours. If it is still the same day.

The doctor came in a few minutes later. "Hello, Andrea. I'm Dr. Parks", he greeted.

"Hi, Dr. Parks. What happened to me?".

"Yes, getting down to the point. Andrea, after your surfing incident, you became unconscious. You've been in a coma now for three days".

My eyes buldged. "Three days?!", I shrieked. "That happened on Saturday. So, it must be Tuesday now. Was I out for that long?".

"Yes, it's Tuesday evening. That is correct. You also bumped your head, which resulted to a mild concussion and that's why you've been in a coma".

"Concussion? What?!", I yelped.

"Don't worry. It's a mild one. You won't need any medication for it. You do have a bump on your forehead that is quite large, but needs only ice to heal. We're going to keep you overnight just to make sure you're okay before discharging you tomorrow morning or afternoon", the doctor explained.

I let out a sigh of relief that it wasn't anything major. "Alright. Thanks, Dr. Parks".

"You are welcome, Andrea. By the way, you have three guests in the waiting area. Two young ladies and one young man".

"May you please bring in the two girls, if that's okay?", I asked.

"Of course. I'll be back shortly as well with the ice for your bump".

"Okay. Thank you".

The doctor left and I tried making myself feel comfortable. I never thought I would end up in a hospital this summer. I moved my hand around my forehead to locate the bump. I finally did, and I could feel it was indeed big.