Chapter 16- Beach Jam

I'm currently in my room freaking out. You wanna know why? It's because we have our beach concert thing today. I never get nervous for this, but this time it's different. First of all, we're in a different state and no one here knows us except for the Thompsons, Andy, Chiara, and her mom and sister. And Jessie, of course, but she doesn't really count. Second of all, how about if no one shows up? All we did was post posters all over town. How about if that doesn't work? Like, who would go to a concert when you don't even know who the heck is playing? Okay, I need to calm down. Take a chill pill or something.

I sat on my bed and picked up my guitar to practice some more. Not even a minute later, there was a knock on my door.

"Come in", I called.

The door opened and the person who entered was Chiara. I gulped. I haven't spoken to her since Wednesday. I don't even know if she's still mad at me or not. Actually, I don't even know if she was mad at me at all. But I'm guessing she is.

"Hey, Chiara", I said nervously.

"Connor, we need to talk", she said walking over to sit beside me on my bed.

Uh oh. Those words were never good.

"Uh, sure. What's up, babe?".

"Don't call me that".

I didn't care, to be honest. It sounded so wrong when I call her that. But I was still curious.

"Why not?".

She took a deep breath before saying, "Connor, I'm breaking up with you".

Okay, if I was anybody else, I would be somewhat hurt. But being the boy I am with a large ego and being the idiot I am, I exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, thank you! Seriously, thank you!".

I regretted saying that right after it came out of my mouth. Sure, I didn't really love her, but I felt bad when I saw the existent hurt she had all over her face.

"Chiara, I'm-".

"It's okay, Connor", she said interrupting me. "I know you didn't really love me. I get it. You only went out with me to forget about Andy. But that's obviously not possible. You still love her. I knew that from the first time I met you at the coffee shop and you were telling me about her. Every time you say her name, your eyes literally glow. On our date Wednesday night, you were treating me as if I was Andy. I'm not her, Connor. I'm me. And I think you should end what you started with me and finish what you started with her".

I honestly felt like I was going to pass out any time soon. This explanation was too overwhelming for me. And the explanation wasn't even over yet, for Chiara continued to talk.

"Connor, you promised her you would stay with her. You promised her you would try your best to keep her happy. She promised you the same thing and she kept her promise and still keeping it. You, on the other hand, didn't keep your promise and not continuing to".

I look up at her in shock. "How do you know about the promises?".

"On the first day we started dating, I talked to her and made sure it was okay with her. Andy's words were along the lines of something like, 'Chiara, don't worry about it. I need to move on and so does he. But please keep Connor happy. When we were dating, I promised him I would do anything to keep him happy. I'm not going to break that promise'".

I'm pretty sure my eyes grew as big as flying saucers. Why had I been such a freaking crap to Andy when she did nothing to me? I meant the whole 'summer doesn't last forever' thing, but here I was dating someone else. I stood up from my bed and started banging my head against the wall.