Chapter 4

I was sitting in my room, when I heard the doorbell ring. Mom and Dad were back home.
I greeted them with a hug and helped mom arrange the groceries.

"Lisa. You look worried. What's wrong?", my mom asked me.
"Mom, I'm fine. It's just that Hadley has been talking to her imaginary friend Katie since morning and this is bothering me."
She chuckled. "Honey, you know she has this habit of befriending everyone, even this house for that matter. She is just six. Let her do whatever she wants to".
"Yeah, you're right mom.", I said with a faint smile.

It was about 10p.m. when we were done with washing the dishes and I thought to check on Hadley. She had slept by then, tightly hugging her teddy whom she calls Mr. Bob.
I was still feeling guilty for my behaviour that day. But I knew that Hadley was a sweetheart, she wouldn't be upset with me for long.

I went back to my room to study. Not even half an hour had passed that the lights turned off.
Great! We didn't even know any electrician at this place.
I decided to look for a candle which meant that I had to go downstairs.

I need to get to Hadley. She is afraid of the dark. I quickly got out of my bed and was about to enter her room when I heard the sound of footsteps in the hall.
"Mom, is it you?", I asked.
"Dad?" There was no response.

I walked downstairs to see who it was and I saw Hadley with a candle in her hand.
"Hadley, why did you come out of your room. You could have injured yourself. And I thought you were afraid of the dark.
Then how did you come here?"

She said, "Yes I'm afraid if the dark but only until I'm alone.
I have Katie with me and she told me to come with her."

"And how did you know that the candles were kept here? As far as I remember neither of us was with mom while she was arranging the household stuff".

Hadley said, "We both were in my room but Katie was here. She saw mom keeping the candles in that cupboard."
I just didn't know what to say.
"Honey, let's go back to your room. Give this candle to me.", saying this we walked upstairs.

I sat with Hadley on her bed. I knew it was so foolish of me but I asked her, "Why don't you introduce me to Katie? I want to meet her. Can I?"
Hadley said, "No. She wouldn't meet you because you didn't believe me the first time when I told you about her."

"I know. I'm sorry sweetie, but I do believe you. Can you ask her to meet me?"
Hadley turned her head to her right and said ,"Come on Katie, she is sorry for what she said. Talk to her."
This scared the hell out of me. It was impossible to see anyone in that dark but Hadley was able to do so.

Trying to keep calm, I just said. "Hey Katie, who are you?"
I heard a whisper right into my ears, "The girl you didn't notice".

______________________________________________________________________