Chapter 12

It must have been an hour or two since I had been sleeping.
I was feeling better but all that happened in the past few hours was continuously bothering me.
Even while sleeping, all I could see was Amelia's face. It wasn't a face that you could forget easily.

"Hey, sweetie! How are you?", mom asked me.
"I'm fine." I said and gave a faint smile.
Hadley was standing at the door.
"Come in Hadley", I said.
"Lisa, is there something wrong with me? Why do you get scared or scream whenever I'm near you?", she asked with her puppy eyes.

"Hadley! Are you stupid? I love you more than my life, okay? There's nothing wrong with you. It's just that I'm sick, nothing else.", I told her.
This brought a huge smile on her face. A smile I could trade my life for.

But I knew I had to do something. I had to look into the history of this house and I knew that all my answers lay in the attic.
I gathered all the guts I had and went to the attic.
The gate was already open.
I re-opened the trunks.
I took out all the drawings, newspapers, letters that were kept there and brought them down to my room.

I started reading the newspaper clippings. The date on one of them was '19th December 1871.'
The front page was filled with just one story about how a mother killed her six year old daughter.
' It has been reported that Amelia Winston, who used to live with her husband and daughter in the New Hampshire Street, killed her six year old daughter, Katie Winston. She has confessed her crime but still didn't give a reason for committing the same. The post mortem reports reveal that the girl had been tied to her bed and then suffocated to death with a pillow. Amelia Winston has been sentenced to 20 years of imprisonment.'

Amelia killed her daughter.
But why? How could a mother do that to her child?
Maybe she wasn't mentally healthy. But why didn't her husband stop her?
Was he involved in the murder too.

I couldn't just think anymore.
I went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water where I could see a man standing.
It was dark.
"Dad, is it you?"
He turned back.
It wasn't Dad.
Riley Winston! I said under my breath.

"I didn't kill my daughter. I loved her. But I'll kill all of you if you don't leave this house."
I stood frozen and he disappeared within a blink of the eye.
Lily told me that Katie was mentally sick and her parents abandoned her.
But in reality Amelia killed her daughter and Riley wasn't in favour of the same.

Once again I went to the attic.
I opened all the cupboards and found a torn, photo album.
I opened it and I could see a picture of Riley, standing with a lady and a baby.
Who is this lady?
It didn't take me long to put one on one and realise that this lady was Katie's mother.

That means Amelia was Riley's second wife.
'But still, how could she kill a child!' I muttered under my breath.
"I can do whatever I want to. I'll kill Hadley too. She reminds me of Katie."

This was the same voice. Amelia.

___________________________________
* hey guys! I hope you are liking the story.
I would like to thank __a__m__b__ ShanaVarshielliannae chaviyadav paashi19 benaddict31 Akumnabam for always voting for my chapters!
And thank you everyone for reading my story.*