Chapter 26

I was sitting with Mom and Granny in the guest room.
Dad and Grandpa went out to just have a view of the entire town.
Phew! I don't think this place is probably the best for sight seeing but okay! If they want to.

"So Molly, how is your work going on?", Granny asked Mom.
"Pretty good. Just that it's way too tiring", Mom said with a frown on her face.

"Oh honey! You're doing great, I'm sure! And anyway I guess Lisa is busy with her studies and Hadley has a pretty nice company", Granny exclaimed.

"What kind of a company?", Mom asked. I guess she already knew the answer but was too afraid to accept the truth.
"Katie. That little girl is adorable, I must say", Granny said with a smile.

It seemed like someone had sucked all the life out of Mom. Her face went pale and she just walked outside the room.
"What happened to her?", Granny asked me.
I could have told her everything but she had just come and I didn't want to bombard her  with these ghost stories.

"Umm. She isn't feeling well, that's it.", I said with a faint smile.
I took Granny to the verandah and sat there with her.
"Hey, you? You're back? We told you to not come here, right?", Granny screamed at someone.

God! Who is she talking to? I can't see anyone.

"Why are you looking at Lisa? I'm talking to you, answer me!", she screamed again.

"Granny let's go inside, please", I said.
"No. Let me have a word with this lady.", saying this she walked towards the gate.
"What's your name?", she asked to someone invisible to me.
Obviously there was no response.

"Oh. Sarah Waters. Get this thing in your head, that you just cannot keep on loitering over here, okay?", Granny said.

Sarah? Granny was talking to Sarah Waters! Shit. This isn't safe.

"Granny, I'm feeling sick. Please let's go inside.", I lied.
"What happened, hun? Yes let's go inside", she said while giving a furious glare to the gate. I should rather say, to Sarah.

I think I have to tell Granny about the history of this house.
"Granny I want you to read these news paper clippings.", saying this I handed a pile of newspapers to her. Obviously they were the ones that I had been collecting since I came here.

Granny didn't bother to read the date and said "Oh Sarah Waters is the name written here. Is she a criminal?"
"Granny, please read the date and the entire news."
Since it was a newspaper from the 18th century, there weren't any pictures. Probably the reason I still don't know how the Waters couple still looks like.

I think I saw Sarah once when I mistook her to be my mom, but I wasn't sure who she was.

After reading the news and the date, Granny was too shocked to say a word.
I then handed her the newspaper which reported about the Winston's case.
That was enough to convince Granny that there was something wrong with the house.

I showed her the drawings.
"This is Katie? she was wearing the same pink frock right now?", Granny said.
"Yes, she is always wearing that", I told her.
"How could a mother kill her daughter?", Granny asked me.

'She isn't my daughter', we heard someone say but couldn't see who it was.
Obviously I knew it was Amelia.