Chapter 14

I thought of asking the neighbours about this house. But then, they all were too young to know the history of this place.
I didn't want to hear the same rumours again.

I walked a little further and I saw an old lady sitting in her verandah.
I thought, maybe her parents might have told her something about this house, provided they had been living in this street ever since.

"Excuse me?"
"Yes?", she said in a polite tone.
"Hi. I am Lisa Simon. We are neighbours actually.", before I could finish she interrupted by saying, "You live in the Winston's bungalow, don't you?".
I nodded.

"Actually I need to know  the history of this house. I have heard enough of rumours and apparently they seem to be false. Can you please help me?", I pleaded.

"Sure. Take a seat.", she said.
"This bungalow is haunted since some three centuries. I mean this is what my grandparents told me."
"Three hundred years!", my jaw dropped to the floor.
"But I'm sure the Winston family lived here in the 19th century, didn't they?", I asked.

"Yes. But they didn't know that the bungalow was haunted before they bought it. Until their daughter Katie started witnessing unusual things.
Katie was Riley and Amanda's child, but Amanda died because of cancer.
Riley, then, married Amelia.
Amelia never liked Katie, for she was not her own child.

When Katie started witnessing things, Amelia would obviously not believe her and Riley used to stay out for work for the whole day.
People started saying many things about Katie, that she was mentally sick, and this made Amelia hate Katie, even more.

So one day, when Riley wasn't at home, she killed Katie." , the old woman said.

Okay. That answered some of my questions.
"But you said, the house was haunted even before the Winstons came here. Who was the one living here before they came?"

The old lady answered, "John Waters and his wife Sarah Waters". They weren't the owners of this place, just the caretakers because the owners used to stay out of town most of the time.
During the summers of 1781, the owners of this bungalow, Richard Cyrus and his wife Emily Cyrus moved in here.
They were in their early 60s.
One day Richard killed Emily. It seemed like a suicide because Emily was found hanging down the huge banyan tree, but it wasn't. He killed her.
The caretaker, John and Sarah. They saw him doing the crime, so he killed them both as well."

I was so confused. What the hell was happening.
So basically this guy Richard killed his wife Emily, the caretakers John and Sarah.
Then Amelia killed Katie after some hundred years.

"So what about Riley? How did he disappear and his wife Amelia too?", I asked.
"Riley killed Amelia. He loved Katie way too much and then committed suicide.", she said.
" and what happened with Richard Cyrus?", I asked.

The old lady said, "He was found hanging down the banyan tree, the same way his wife was. It's said that his wife Emily killed him."

"Thank you, you have helped me a lot. I don't think anyone else could've helped me this much. I'm sorry I didn't ask your name?", I said.

"I'm Emily Cyrus."

___________________________________
* hey guys! I know this chapter is way too confusing, so many characters! But it was necessary to peek into the history of the bungalow
Do share your views and please vote !*