Chapter 17

All that was happening seemed like a never ending mystery.
What should I do? Save Hadley from Amelia or save all of us from Richard and Riley, both of them being impossible.

I still didn't know the complete history of this place. Why did Richard kill his wife?
What did Katie witness when she came here?
But whom should I ask.
I called Lily.
"Lily, I need your help. Can you tell me where can I find the town's oldest library?
I need to find some really old newspapers."

"Lisa. You should go to the Fox River Library. It's was established in late 1800's. You'll have to search a lot, I'm sure, but you'll get what you want.", she said.

"Okay. Thank you Lily!", I said and hung up.
Mom and Dad went out for work and I asked a neighbour of ours to look after Hadley.
I then headed towards the Fox River library.
It was huge and I could make out that it had been established centuries ago. It looked so old.

I went inside.
There was no one except an old man sitting on a chair, reading some book.
"Excuse me?".
He then looked up. "Yes? How can I help you?"
"Actually I need to find some really old newspapers. I need them for a school project", I lied.

"Okay, go to the third row. The racks are numbered with the years of the newspapers. Suit yourself", he said.

"Thank you!", saying this I hurried to the third row.
My god! So many newspapers. How am I gonna find the ones I need?

I started looking at the shelves.
After some fifteen minutes I finally found the rack which held the label '1781'.
I started looking through the newspapers.
I thought of starting with the February bundle.

After fumbling through a hell lot of them I finally found that one newspaper I wanted.

December 31st, 1781
Three dead bodies have been found in a bungalow in the New Hampshire Street.
One of them being the owner's wife, Emily Cyrus and the other two were the caretakers of the bungalow, John and Sarah waters.
The murderer is still to be found but according to the Investing Officer Mr .Lobo, the culprit is none other than the owner of the house, i.e, Richard Cyrus.

Their neighbours have reported that Richard and Emily used to fight most of the times. Richard believed that Emily was involved is some kind of witchcraft and he did not appreciate that.
The post mortem reports have not been disclosed until now.
As for now, Richard is not in the police custody because of lack of evidence.'

What? Emily was involved in witchcraft?
Is that the reason Richard killed her or it could be a possibility that Emily actually committed suicide.
I looked for the next newspaper.

'Post mortem reports reveal that Emily Cyrus was killed by her husband and then hanged to a tree. The caretakers John and Sarah were killed in a similar fashion. Richard is missing ever since the post mortem reports were revealed.'

This confused me to another extent. Why did he kill the caretakers? Just because they witnessed the crime?

I sat down with my hands over my head. Just then I heard a whisper right into my ears, "I told you to not mess with other people's stuff, didn't I? You want to know everything but you have made a death wish."