07.

He was in my house,
is the only thing I have been saying over and over again in my mind. Reminding myself of what happened and what he saw.

My eyes are staring at the picture hd gave me. My finger sliding of the slick surface of his present and my eyes scanning the whole thing.

I left the roses where he left them for me, but I kept the polaroid. Trying to find a sign of anything, I sigh look at the thing.

I never found a sign of clue.

My body and mind functioned with a lack of sleep, their need of energy was obvious. But no rest was found these days. No silence in my mind.

I was in the middle of packing my things for school the next day, when my mind suddenly made an decision, and my body followed; I tore the polaroid apart.
The pieces fell on the ground, very slowly. I picked them up, one for one, and threw them away.

It was gone.

I finally found myself free, that afternoon, when all my classes were done, when my mind finally was at peace. I was holding a book, sitting in a corner - far away from everybody - and I lost myself.

I lived for these moments; when it was just me and a story of somebody else. At these rare moments, I forgot my own story.

°

The final bell of the day rang, which meant all classes were done for the day. I was still reading the book and realised I never went home and left school, even though I was already done for a couple of hours.
I quickly packed my stuff, made my way towards the train station and left school behind.

My mom was home, preparing our meals. "Hey, everything all right?," I asked her, "What are you cooking?"
She cut some onions and told me to wait and see.

"I'm upstairs, just call me when dinner is ready."

I opened the door of my bedroom door and the first thing I saw, made me drop my bag to the floor and the hairs on my arms standing up.

The photo, the one I tore apart, the polaroid of me on the couch, was lying on my bed. Someone put it back together with tape.
I picked it up and saw something written on the backside.

'I will let you sleep as long as you keep on the light.
H'

He was in the house, again. He was here. He took the pieces out of the bin. He must have seen I tore it apart.

If it was even possible, more questions followed after reading this.
What does he mean with H?
What is he talking about?

I will let you sleep as long as you keep on the light.

He took the picture when I was asleep, so I think he is talking about that. But which lights? And the letter H? Does his name start with a H?

I start thinking of names but I did not think of any. I wanted answers.
I was tired of these games he was playing with me. I was sick of it.
This needed to stop, now.

I made my way downstairs and went straight to the frontdoor. I did not even see my mother until she said,
"Sweetheart, where are you going? I am almost done with dinner."

I looked at her and before I could even realise what I was doing, I said I would be back in a couple of minutes.

I raced out of the house and without no plan I started walking,
and walking,
and walking.

He must be here somewhere, I must find him. I walked around the house.
Searched every meter, without result. Idiot that I am. He is long gone.
Ofcourse, he does not show himself.
Only if he wants to.

Suddenly the streetlights turned on and that is when I realised how long I was gone, it was already dark.
My mother must be worried sick, she can not reach me because I left my phone at home. I quickly walked back home, but how I wished it was that easy.

I was getting near when I suddenly sensed another presence.

I heard footsteps. Heard someone breathing. Looking around I saw no person, nobody.

I started walking very quickly, my feet tried to bring me home.
I was only about five minutes away, when I saw someone walking towards me. He came out of the darkness, showed himself under the streetlights.
That was when I realised who it was.
It was him.

He was coming closer and I found myself walking away from him, for the second time.
But only this time, I started running.
I made my way around the corner to be met by a young woman. She was walking at the same road as me, at the other end, far away, but she could help me.

I started running towards her, but she did not saw me, I saw her back and she wore headphones.
I was not far away from her, when someone caught my hand and pulled me in an alley.

My back hit the wall, along with my head, hard. My vision got blurry so it was hard to see the person standing in front of me, who had me put in hold.

I shut my eyes. My head was on fire, the headache was already starting to come. I could not see him but knew it was him. Knew it from his hand, decorated by those same rings.
His strong grip and large hands. They were warm, heat spread itself through my body.

My knees started to wobble and it felt like I might pass out.
Maybe because of the blow or because I was starting to have a panic attack that was bothering me.
I felt it. My breathing was getting really fast and the air around me suffocated me.

I started counting to ten.
One.
I did not care about him, standing in front of me, seeing me at my weakest.
Two.
He did not say anything, just held me captive against the wall.
Three.
His breath hit my face.
Four.
He moved his hand and his rings scratched my skin.
Five.
I felt my breathing getting more regular.
Six.
I opened my eyes and I was met by his face and eyes.
Seven.
He scanned my face and frowned.
Eight.
He cleared his throat, ready to speak.
Nine.
He licked his lips and parted them.
Ten.
He spoke,

"You can not run away from me, I will always find you. You are my rose, my rose to cherish. Keep that in mind, darling."

His eyes held my stare and I held my breath. His hand lingered on my waist, until it was gone, until he was gone. He did not look back, when he left the alley behind him.

I let out a breath, I did not know I was holding. I collapsed against the wall.
Not ready to face what just happened.

•/////