ChaPTEr s¡xteeN

A/N : Hey! Thanks for clicking on this chapter. Please leave votes & comments if you like the story, and if you want to :) Happy reading! ^.^

PLAYLIST : Everything Has Changed - Taylor Swift

     "So, you like her dress better than yours?" Derek asked when we were seated on a couch

     I looked at him confused, raising an eyebrow.

     He flicked his head back to where Ashley and Cabe disappeared down into the crowd. "It was the look you gave her."

     I laughed. "No. That wasn't it."

     "Then what was it?" he pressed.

     Did I want to tell him what it was? Meh, wouldn't hurt to tell him. "That look wasn't for her. It was for Cabe. He's my ex."

     "Why would you even let your mind wander to your ex when you're with me?" He sat up straighter, like that made him more important.

     "Not everything is about you, Derek."

     He acted surprised. "That's not true!" he exclaimed.

     If someone else had said it, it would come out arrogant. But Derek's way of saying it just made me laugh. The more I got to know him, the more comfortable I felt around him. I didn't decide if I liked him yet, but he definitely wasn't scary anymore.

     A shadow crossed his face like he realized something right then. "Wait. Is this why you wanted a date in the last minute? To make him jealous or something like that? Are you trying to win him back?"

     "No! I want nothing to do with him." I glossed over the rest of his question. I wasn't going to explain it to him sitting here in prom.

     A question had been nagging me in the back of my head and I asked Derek, "So why was a guy like you, who obviously can get a date, without one to prom?"

     "It was kinda hard to find a girl I hadn't dated before. So I decided," with an air of confidence, he continued, "who needs a date anyway? I'm a stud."

     "Oh, the tragedy." I mocked.

     He laughed. It always a deep, heartwarming chuckle which instantly made me feel better.