cHapter THiRTy SEvEn

A/N : Hey! Thanks for being here :) Please vote and comment if you like the story. Happy reading!

PLAYLIST : One Call Away - Charlie Puth

     "What did you just say?"

     "Derek, I wanted to tell you all along-"

     "Hello? What did you just say?" his voice was muffled, like there was some obstruction.

     I wanted to figure out what he was feeling from his tone. Whether he was angry or curious or something else. "Derek," I started to say.

     He cut me off. "I didn't hear you there. My phone ran out of juice. I just plugged it in."

     Shit! "Oh." I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. 

     "So what were you saying?"

     "Um, me? Nothing. I was just . . ." Seriously? I somehow managed to finally say it and that turned out to be the exact same moment Derek had to plug in his phone?

     "Yeah?"

     I couldn't say it again, no matter how hard I tried. I made up something else. "I was just asking why Gina hates you so much."

     "Because I was a jerk to her."

     "Oh, um why?"

     "Because I didn't believe in relationships of any kind. And also because I am a jerk."

     "Seems like a good reason."

     "Yeah, I know." He chuckled.

     From a house across mine, I could hear music playing. It was soothing to listen to. I was silent for a while listening to it. I sensed Derek too could hear the song.

     "My parents' relationship was always rocky for as long as I remembered. All my dad cared about was his business. When he was not working, he was drinking. Then a year ago, they went all out. They had full blown fights in the house, they threw things at each other,  but it was only my mom that got hurt. I couldn't take it. It was too much for me.

     It pissed me off so much, I punched him in the face once. And he punched me back. That was it for me. I left my house and started staying at Nathan's. He knew everything about me and was always so supportive. But then I realized I left my mom with him. I felt guilty for doing that. So I came back home. Their relationship had worsened.