Broken 2

o n e.

I wake up with a jolt. Beads of sweat roll down my face and my heart may be beating so fast; it could just lurch out from my chest. Tyler lays beside me, oblivious to the fact I am now wide awake with no plans or desire of returning back to sleep. The nightmare was so raw, so real.

I grab my hooded jacket off the chair at the corner of my room and slip my arms through; the cracked window let in more breeze than expected. I glance at the clock and realize it is 4:56 a.m. I grab a cup of coffee from the kitchen and return to my room just to crawl out the window and onto the fire escape. The city lights are so beautiful. The snow is so beautiful. It's only November 15th and this is the second snowfall. It's obvious to all that it's going to be a brutal winter. I already begin to feel goosebumps crawling all the way up from my arms and to the rest of my body; I shiver.

My eyelids close and I instantly regret it as faded flashbacks from the nightmare moments ago resurface. I'm okay now. My life is okay now. Everyday that I wake up, I remind myself of how lucky I am to be here today, at this point in my life.

"Lana?" I hear Tyler's soft voice and I tilt my head to the side to see him, shirtless and shivering by the edge of the window.

"Hey you,"

He smiles. "What are you doing up this early? It's freezing out,"

"I had trouble sleeping. That's all."

Turning, he disappears into the dark room only to return fully clothed now. "Allow me to join you then."

"Be my guest." I say just as he sits down across from me.

We sit in a comfortable silence for a while until he says, "You're so peculiar sometimes, Lana."

"Peculiar? Me?"

"Yes." he smiles, looking away.

"I find nothing wrong with being peculiar."

"I wouldn't disagree with that."

I reach over and fall onto his lap. He kisses my temple gently and I smile to myself. "Why are you up?"

"Because you are."

"You were snoring and all when I first woke up."

He chuckles. "I do not snore."

"Lies." I get onto my feet and crawl back into my room. Tyler follows, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me down with him as he falls onto my mattress that has no bed frame. We lay there for a while, saying nothing at all; staring up at the ceiling that has the stick on, glow in the dark stars. So many of them.

"Ty,"

"Yes, beautiful?"

"You ever think of how small you are in the universe?"

He tilts his head to the side to look at me; his baby blue eyes meeting mine. "I sometimes think you are too smart for your own brain."

"I sometimes think so too."

"Will we see each other tomorrow?"

I slip my hand in his, caressing his thumb. "I don't think so. I have classes then I'm working on a paper I have to write and then I have a couple of other things I need to take care of also. I can't have any distractions."

"I'm a distraction?" I hear amusement in his voice.

"Yes, you are."

He chuckles, but then yawns suddenly. "I'm going back to sleep." And he does and after a while, I eventually drift off into sleep as well with a slight fear I might fall into a nightmare only to be granted with a dream.