18.

I stared out the plane window the whole time we flew above the clouds. They were everywhere and in all these elegant shapes, forever changing. I seemed to be hypnotized by them. Time had no meaning for me in the moment, but when I heard the voice over the intercom telling us that we were making our decent, It had been quite a while since I had done a reality check.

And now, here I am making sure I had everything I had walked on the plane with. My rugged jean jacket, my phone and of course, my dad's worn out backpack.

As the plane touched the ridged pavement of the runway, the plane bounced slightly and you could hear the few people throughout the cabin reacting like they weren't expecting the landing to be rough. Although, this had been one of the smoother landings I had experienced.

After the caucus that was people seeing how fast they could get out of their seats to go kiss the ground, I headed towards the exit of the Schiphol airport. Eventually, finding a taxi to take me to the heart of the city, where I could try and decide what to do with my life.

First things first, I had to find somewhere to stay for the night.

Just find some little quaint place.

Yeah, a little quaint place... It was unfortunate that I really had no idea where I was. I didn't have a map and I was too afraid to use my phone out of the fear of being charged more for roaming services since I had already used it once and wanted to save it for emergencies. I knew it could get crazy expensive if I wasn't being careful about when I decided to utilize it.

It must have been fate when I turned the corner, and to my surprise, found a nice, small hotel sitting in front of me.

The old browning vines climbed all the way up and reached the eavestrough. And the window frames were all painted in a warm yellow colour. This little building seemed so out of place but felt as if it should be there at the same time. It was there to make people notice it.

My theory is that this hotel was probably one of the earliest buildings to make its roots in the city. And, it must have hundreds of stories.

I walk in through the front door and in no time at all, I'm set up with a room and a key.

I get up to the fourth floor, which is the top floor, and I quickly find where I'm supposed to be. Room 403.

With a swift turn of the door handle, I open it and I can feel the thin layer of dust in the air float around me. It didn't bother me. It added character to the place as I could see the beams of light glisten through it.

With my bag still hanging on my back, I decide to place on the small upholstered chair in the corner.

Looking around, I take in the small space. It seemed a little smaller than my room at home and the walls were bare and had obviously never been painted. On the left side, there was a single bed with a wool blanket, sheets and a pillow. And for the only decoration, a flower in a tiny glass vase sitting on the bedside table. It wasn't much, but it was cheap and perfect for the lonesome traveller that I am.

But, I do have to admit that the view out the window was the best thing in the whole place. I've got a splendid spot to stop and glance down at the canals that intertwined underneath the roads.

Everyone down there was riding a bike or walking and everything seemed in harmony with each other.

I couldn't just sit and not do anything, even if I was tired from travelling all day. So I grab the bare minimal and I lock my door behind me as I head on to my nightly adventure.

All I've got to from now until later is remember where the hotel is. I felt that I could get easily lost through my trip up and down the streets.

I have no idea where to start and the sun was getting ready to set. The sky was that beautiful orange that melts into the blue of the fading day.

I guess since I hadn't eaten in so long, it was about time where my stomach would start growling and surely enough it did. It pretty much made my decision for me. It was definitely time to get some dinner.

So, since I was completely new to the area, I just decided to walk into the first restaurant I could find. This being about a few meters in front of me.

It was mostly covered in dark wood panelling with pictures in frames slung almost everywhere. I assumed the people in the images were patrons who would go there often, celebrating every occasion.

My curiousness picked at me second by second, making it impossible for me to focus on one thing. All I wanted to do was explore everything placed in front of me. It made me feel like a kid at heart.

But the minutes passed and eventually, I found myself eating some of the best chicken I've ever had. I have no clue what they put on it, but it was absolutely spectacular.

And as I finally finished my meal, I decided to take the long way back to the hotel. To give myself the luxury of taking all that surrounded me in.

I had only walked a couple of blocks when I stood outside of this incredibly noisy bar. Probably some sort of sport was playing on the TV, it definitely caught my attention.

But, then I felt a tap on my shoulder.

So, I turn around.

"No shitting way!" I see the girl with the bright red hair say.

Holly crap!

"Petal?!"