Chapter 57

Castiel's working on his piano skills when his phone rings. He doesn't hesitate to answer it when he sees it's Jack calling. He's sure this is either going to be something really good or really bad. If it wasn't, Jack would have just texted him.

"What's up?" Castiel greets him.

"We're nominated for a Grammy!" Jack practically yells through the phone.

It's been a long time since Castiel's been excited for just a nomination like that, so this is kind of cute. "Which one?"

"Song of the Year!"

Castiel almost chokes on air at that. "What?"

"'Remember' was nominated for flipping Song of the Year!" Jack repeats, clearly ecstatic.

"But it just came out a month ago," Castiel says. "How'd it get nominated for Song of the Year after a month?"

"I don't know, but it's so cool!"

Castiel chuckles. "It really is."

"Does this mean you're gonna come to the Grammys this year?" Jack asks.

"I don't think so." He's not so sure he wants to deal with all the cameras and the interviews and the criticism his mere existence always receives. Even being nominated for one of the four main categories — and one of the two main categories he was eligible for — isn't quite enough to convince him that it's worth it.

"What? Why not?" Jack asks, seeming genuinely puzzled that anyone would choose not to go to an award show.

"It would kind of break up my mini vacation, you know?" Of course, that didn't stop him from putting together a song with the kid, but hopefully he won't notice.

"Oh," Jack says, disappointed. "Okay, well, enjoy your break, I guess."

Castiel sighs to himself. He sounds so sad. He really wants Castiel there, doesn't he? He might not even have any other celebrity friends, so Castiel's probably all he's got. Does he really want to send Jack to the Grammys alone?

"Actually, you know what? I think I will go," Castiel says. "It'll be kind of nice to get out of the house." He pauses, a thought occurring to him. "Wait, do you know if it's before or after the Super Bowl this year?" Hopefully before, so Castiel can miss the loneliness of a game day by going to the show.

"After," Jack replies. "I think. The Super Bowl's usually at the very beginning of February, right?"

"Probably?" Castiel says uncertainly. "I don't know. I don't really pay attention to that."

"So, if it is after the Super Bowl, does that mean you're bringing Dean as your plus one?" Jack asks.

Castiel chuckles. "I doubt he'll want to go. I think he might cry during the first performance when he hears how different popular music is today than it was in the eighties."

"He's been really pro-pop on Twitter lately," Jack says. "He's been calling out the mean people from stan Twitter like it's his life's purpose."

"Doesn't mean he likes the music, though," Castiel says. "He just hates people."

"I know I've only seen him a few times, but that kinda does sound like him," Jack says. "You should still ask if he wants to come, though. I haven't seen him since Disney."

"I'll ask him when he gets home," Castiel says. "He's going to say no, but I'll still ask."

"Tell him it will be fun," Jack says. "And the after party's gonna have food. That's all it usually takes to convince him to do anything, right?"

Castiel chuckles. "Yeah, but I think I might pass on the after party this year."

"Really? But that's the best part!" Jack says, then adds, "Well, the best part after watching all the performances. That's always the best best part."

"Yeah, but I think I'd rather spend the night with Dean," Castiel says. "Maybe I'll change my mind before then, but I wouldn't count on it."

"Well, as long as you come to the show, it's all good," Jack says. "I can't wait!"

~~

Dean and Castiel are sitting on the couch in a comfortable silence. Dean has his arm around his fiancé's shoulders, and Castiel snuggles up with him.

"Hey, Dean?" Castiel says softly.

"Hmm?" Dean hums.

"I was talking to Jack earlier, and 'Remember' is nominated for a Grammy," Castiel tells him.

"Well, congratulations to you." Dean presses a kiss to the top of his head. "You're gonna get another one to add to your collection."

"Oh, I don't think we're gonna win it," Castiel says. "Lucifer mentioned that the Academy might nominate it just to get me to go, but that's probably it." And, on the off chance he does win, the Grammy award itself will go home with Jack, anyway.

"I doubt that," Dean says. "But even if you don't win, congrats on just being nominated. Apparently, the Academy has taste."

Castiel chuckles softly. "Thanks. But I was wondering, do you maybe want to go to the Grammys with me?"

"Is that a thing I can do?" Dean asks. "I don't make music — or not formally, at least. The shower is a different story."

"I can take a plus-one," Castiel explains. "You don't have to be musicy at all."

"Awesome," Dean says. "Then sure, I'll go."

Castiel whips his head around to look at him. "Wait, seriously?"

"Yes?" Dean says uncertainly. "Unless you were only asking to be polite and you don't actually want me to come? Because in that case, I'll stay home and maybe watch on the tv if I'm bored. I don't care too much either way."

"No!" Castiel says quickly. "I want you to come. I just didn't think you were going to say yes. It's all expensive suits and cameras and pop music. Kinda sounds like your own personal hell."

Dean chuckles. "It doesn't sound too bad. But I don't really care about all that stuff. I just want to go because you're going."

"Aw, you're cute," Castiel says with a grin, cuddling back up with him.

"And it's boring when you're not around," Dean adds. "Wait, when are the Grammys? Because I might not have a day off until February, depending on whether or not we make it to the Super Bowl, and I'm pretty sure I won't be allowed to take the day off to go to an over commercialized music festival thingy."

"It's not even a music festival," Castiel says, amused. "It's an award show."

"And I'm sure that will be all it takes to convince them to give me the day off," Dean says teasingly.

"Well, don't worry, because it's after the Super Bowl anyway," Castiel assures him. "Exactly a week later, according to google. Well, not down to the minute, but to the day."

"Well, that sounds manageable," Dean says. "I only have one condition, though."

"And that is?" Castiel prompts.

"I get to drive, because I'm not taking another damn airplane."

Castiel chuckles. "You really want to drive all the way across the country? The Grammys are in LA, Dean. That's literally as far from Massachusetts as you can get while staying in the continental United States."

"Ah, but it's still in the continental United States, so I can still drive," Dean says. "It's probably only, like, three days away, maybe less."

"And you're willing to drive three days both ways just so you don't have to fly in an airplane?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I am," Dean replies.

Castiel shakes his head at the boy. "Okay, well, let's do it."