Chapter 111

A/N Ya know what's funny is that there was a group of like five turkeys on the side of the road as I was writing the word Thanksgiving

Sam and Dean head somewhere else to chat for a minute, probably so Dean can suck up to him and Sam will inevitably forgive him. That leaves Gabriel for everyone else to greet.

"I talk to most of you guys way too much," Gabriel says. "The only one that's relevant right now is Castiel, so hi, Cassie! How are you doing?"

"Pretty good," Castiel says, just as he's said every time someone asked him that today.

"What are you doing here?"

"Celebrating Thanksgiving?" Castiel says uncertainly. "It's usually considered a family holiday, and last time I checked, I was part of this family?"

"Well, yeah," Gabriel says, "but, like... You're here. In Sioux Falls. Now."

"That would be correct," Castiel says. "I may be a hermit, but I do occasionally leave Dean's house."

"But you haven't done that in ages," Gabriel says.

"Well, there's a first time for everything," Castiel says with a shrug. "Did no one tell you I was coming?"

Gabriel shakes his head. "Nope. I'm apparently not important enough to know these things."

"I would've told you if I knew," Castiel says. "I just assumed either Lucifer or Dean told you."

"Nada," Gabriel replies. "Which is probably for the best, cuz I don't know if Sam would have wanted to come if he knew Dean was — wait, is that why no one told us?"

"Maybe," Castiel says. "I mean, I don't know the extent of their fight, so I don't know..."

"Oh, it was bad," Gabriel says. "Sam was pissed. I think he'll probably change his mind when he talks to Dean, though. He likes the guy too much to keep ignoring him."

And, as if on cue, Sam and Dean walk back into the kitchen, both of them laughing. Well, that didn't take long.

"Hey, Alex, do you remember who that is?" Lucifer asks in his Baby Voice™, pointing at Sam.

Alex looks up at him, then shakes her head.

"Is he Dada?" Lucifer asks.

"No!"

"Is he Mama?" Lucifer asks.

"No!"

"Is he Aunt Anna?" Lucifer asks.

Alex pauses, then nods uncertainly.

"No, he's not Aunt Anna!" Lucifer says. "Aunt Anna's the one with the long, long hair!"

"So basically Sam," Gabriel says quietly, and Castiel stifles a laugh.

"Is he Uncle Sam?" Lucifer asks.

Alex nods.

"Yeah, he's Uncle Sam!" Lucifer says. "Good job!"

"Alex, do you remember who I am?" Gabriel asks.

Alex looks at him for a moment, then shakes her head.

"Who is he, do you remember?" Lucifer asks. "It's Uncle Sam and Uncle..."

Alex look at him blankly.

"Uncle Gabriel!" Lucifer says with way too much excitement, as seems to be the theme when talking to toddlers. "Can you say hi to Uncle Sam and Uncle Gabriel?"

Alex waves shyly.

"Do you remember them?" Lucifer asks. "Do they look a little familiar? They're the ones you built a block tower with, remember?"

Alex nods.

"What about me?" Dean asks. "Do you remember me?"

Alex wraps her arms around Lucifer's arm, almost trying to hide behind it.

"Is that a no?" Dean asks.

"You saw him yesterday, remember?" Lucifer says.

Alex just rests her head against Lucifer's arm silently.

"Well, that's disappointing," Dean says.

Sam pats him on the back in fake sympathy. "If only there was something you could have done to change this, like not living hallway across the country."

Dean slaps him on the head.

The front door opens, and, after a moment, Anna and Cain step into view. Castiel expects them to immediately go to Alex because everyone loves toddlers, but instead, Anna runs over to him, throwing her arms around him.

"Castiel, you made it!" Anna says excitedly.

"Um, hi?" Castiel says uncertainly, awkwardly hugging her back.

"I missed you so much," she says.

"Thanks?"

Cain gets down on one knee and hold his arms out towards Alex. "Hey, kiddo!"

Alex runs over to him and wraps her arms around him.

"Do you remember his name?" Lucifer asks.

"Cain!" she says.

"That's right," Cain says with a grin.

"And do you know who that is?" Little asks, pointing to Anna.

Alex lets go of Cain and looks over at her. "Aunt Anna!" She runs over, and Anna kneels down, picking her up in a big hug.

"Hi, sweetie!" Anna kisses the top of her head before putting her down. "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Alex just hugs her legs.

"Is this everyone that's coming?" Dean asks.

"I think Balthazar said he's coming," Lucifer says. "But otherwise, yep. This is everyone."

"Bafazar?" Alex repeats.

"Uncle Balthazar," Lucifer says. "I don't think you remember him. You haven't seen him since Christmas."

Alex just looks at him for a moment, then goes back to hugging Anna's legs. Anna strokes her hair gently.

"Aw, hi sweetie," Anna says.

"Hi, Aunt Anna," Alex says, her voice muffled because her mouth is up against Anna's leg.

Castiel smiles to himself. Alex is so freaking cute — even if she doesn't like him.