Chapter 122

"So," Castiel says, "SNL yesterday, Ellen tomorrow. What else have you got going on?"

"So much, it's insane," Jack says, grinning. "You know Graham Norton?"

"Yeah, he's the guy from the UK, right?" Castiel asks. "The one that has a few celebrities there at the same time?"

Jack nods. "Yeah, that guy! I'm gonna go film for his show on Thursday with John Mulaney, and then —"

"Did I just hear someone mention the master of comedy?" Dean asks, suddenly poking his head into their conversation.

"What?" Castiel says with a laugh.

"The most iconic man on the planet?" Dean adds. "The greatest standup comedian the world has ever seen? Mr. Horse in a Hospital himself?"

"John Mulaney fan?" Jack guesses, amused.

"How'd you guess?" Dean asks. "No, seriously, though, did you say his name? Are you going to meet the man himself?

"Yeah, on Thursday," Jack says.

"Oh my god," Dean whispers. "You need to tell me everything."

"Or you could watch it yourself?" Jack says uncertainly. "It airs Friday night on BBC?"

"Oh my god, you're meeting John Mulaney on a show," Dean whispers. "That's even more iconic."

"Uh, yeah," Jack says. "Do you want me to tell him you said 'hi,' or...?"

"No," Dean says immediately. "No, that would be weird."

"It's actually not very weird," Castiel says. "I say 'hi' to celebrities from other celebrities all the time — or did, when I did celebrity stuff."

"But I'm not a celebrity," Dean says. "No one knows who I am. He definitely wouldn't know who I am."

"No, actually, a lot of people know you," Jack says. "I wouldn't be surprised if he did, too."

"He doesn't," Dean says. "But I know him, and that's the important thing."

"Dear lord, Dean," Castiel says. "This is how you talk about Benedict Cumberbatch."

"No, if I heard Jack say he was meeting Benedict Cumberbatch, I wouldn't be saying anything because I would have died on the spot."

"Note to self," Jack says. "If I ever meet Benedict Cumberbatch, do not tell Dean."

"But you better take a million pictures and send them all to me," Dean says.

"Um, Dean?" Castiel says. "Your fanboy is showing."

"Shit, you right." Dean slowly backs away without another word.

Jack's eyebrows draw together in confusion. To Castiel, he says, "Your boyfriend is weird."

"I know, right?" Castiel agrees. "Anyway, Ellen tomorrow, Norton on Thursday...?"

"Jimmy Fallon next Wednesday, I think," Jack says. "And then I'm taking a bit of a break until the Jingle Ball a couple weeks later, with the two shows in Florida and whatever the first show is."

Castiel raises an eyebrow. "You're doing some serious promo."

"I know, isn't it great?" Jack practically squeals with excitement. "So many people want to have me on their shows! My management has actually had to tell people 'no' because I physically can't talk to everybody! Isn't that incredible?"

"Yeah, that's great." Castiel has to hope it sounds sincere. He doesn't want Jack to hear the worried hint to his tone. Castiel used to be just as excited as he is now. If Jack's anything like him, he's going to get burnt out really quickly.

"My publicist actually tried to get me not to come today," Jack adds. "You know, 'cause I had SNL yesterday and Ellen tomorrow. But I just had to be here. This is such a fun party. Thank you so much for inviting me! And for pushing it off a day so I could make it!"

"Don't mention it," Castiel says with a dismissive wave. "I'm just glad you could make it. You seem so busy, it's insane."

"I gotta agree there," Jack says.

"Do you ever have any down time?"

Jack nods. "Yeah, of course. I'll have a couple days here and there to write stuff or walk my dog or feed my beggar of a cat — who, by the way, misses Dean the obedient peasant constantly."

"Oh, I can imagine," Castiel says.

"I need a new video of him worshipping Tyrion," Jack says. "People loved it last time."

"If you can get Dean to ignore the fact that he's allergic to Tyrion, then go for it," Castiel says.

"Before I leave, it's definitely happening," Jack says. He pauses, then asks, "I know you've been kinda trying to stay out of the spotlight. It won't bother you that people know I came here and saw you and all that?"

"As long as no one knows it's for a music video, it's all good," Castiel says. "And, speaking of your animals, can I go play with your dog?"

Jack chuckles. "Yeah, sure. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to have the company."

~~

Kelly spends most of the day with Alex, and, as time goes by, they wrack up quite a fanclub. When Castiel returns after playing with Peanut for a while, there's a whole group surrounding them. Castiel manages to pick Cain out of the crowd, and discreetly makes his way to him.

"Hey, Cain," Castiel says, and to say the boy looks surprised would be an understatement. "Can I steal you for a moment?"

"Yeah, sure," Cain says, confused.

Castiel leads him away, to a quiet corner of the room, where hopefully no one can overhear him. He really doesn't like people knowing he's doing anything charitable, especially when money's involved. It always seems like a bigger deal than it is.

"Dean told me what you said," Castiel says, which sounds awkward, and he knows that. But he's not sure how else to start this conversation, so that will have to do.

"I kinda expected that," Cain says, though he still doesn't know where Castiel is going with this.

"I know this is kind of random, but if you still want to go to college, I'll pay for it," Castiel says.

"What?" Cain's eyebrows raise in surprise. "I can't ask you to —"

"Before you go any farther with that sentence," Castiel interrupts, "please keep in mind that I'm literally a multimillionaire, and that four years of college will barely make a dent in my bank account."

"Oh, right," Cain says with an awkward laugh.

"So, what do you say?" Castiel asks.

"I, uh..." Cain pauses, then says, "I guess I'll put in some college applications."

"That's what I was hoping you'd say," Castiel says with a grin.

"And thank you," Cain says. "I know me and my family haven't always been too nice to you —"

"No, you haven't been rude at all," Castiel says. "Just a little resigned. Your brother, on the other hand, can choke to death on his prison food for all I care."

"Yeah, I expected as much," Cain says. "But thank you so much for the college money. I really appreciate it."

A/N I got in a car accident today which means I don't have to go to school tomorrow which means I get to write. The pain is totally worth it! (Obligatory disclaimer that I am okay and nothing's broken and I'm chilling at home waiting for morning to come so I can eat a mufifn)