Chapter 102

"Oh, thank God," Castiel says. "Home sweet home."

"What, you don't like being stuck in a car with me for 16 hours straight?" Dean asks teasingly.

"God no," Castiel says. "This was torture."

Dean chuckles. "Fine, I see how it is. Come on, let's go home."

They head inside, Dean rolling their suitcase behind him. He leaves it by the doorway, then immediately heads to one of the kitchen cabinets.

Castiel cocks his head to one side, squinting his eyes slightly. "What are you doing?"

Dean pulls a few bottles out. "Celebratory drink?"

"What are we celebrating?" Castiel asks.

"The fact that you finished your album," Dean replies. "Which means we are both officially retired old men."

"Well, we still have a music video to film," Castiel reminds him. "We're not in the clear yet."

"Well, you still finished recording it," Dean says. "I think that warrants a drink, don't ya think?"

"I mean, I don't really drink," Castiel says hesitantly.

"You could make an exception for today, though," Dean says. "I mean, you don't have to, obviously, but it could be fun, you know?"

Castiel thinks about this for a minute. He was always adamant that he wouldn't drink when he was underage, so darling no to alcohol is almost a habit at this point. But he's 24 now, which is definitely old enough to drink. But he hasn't had a drink since his 21st birthday, when he was still under over his breakup with Dean back in the beginning of Fame Crazy, and the morning after was not fun.

But hey, what does he have to lose?

"Sure," Castiel says. "Let's do it."

~~

"So you drink one shot, and then put the glass facedown," Dean explains, "and then you drink the next one, and it the glass faceup. Then the next is facedown, then faceup, 'till you run out of shots."

"And that's it?" Castiel asks. "That's the whole game?"

"Pretty much," Dean says. "First one done wins."

"That doesn't sound too hard," Castiel says.

Dean chuckles. "Okay, actually, I'm going to video this, because I feel like your reaction when you realize why it is hard is going to be hilarious."

"Okay?" Castiel says uncertainly.

Dean sets his phone up so it's aimed at the table, far enough away that it can probably get them both in the frame. He sets it to record, then heads back to his side of the table.

"Ready?" Dean says.

"As I'll ever be," Castiel replies.

"3, 2, 1, go!"

Castiel downs the first glass, and only then does he remember the alcohol buns your throat. He is the glass facedown in its place, then drinks the next, and the next, and the next...

Castiel puts the last glass down with a clank, only to realize that Dean is still drinking his final two. Dean downs the last two, then gapes at the other boy.

"How the fuck?" Dean asks, seemingly mostly talking to himself.

All Castiel says is, "I think I'm starting to feel something."

Dean chuckles. "That's usually what happen when your down that many shots in ten seconds."

"It tastes awful," Castiel remarks.

"That's just 'cause you're not used to it," Dean says.

"No, I mean it tastes awful," Castiel repeats. "How do you drink this stuff?"

"I'm very competitive," Dean replies. "It's not bad, though. It's an aquired taste."

"It's a taste I'd rather not acquire," Castiel replies.

"Want me to get you a water bottle to drown the taste out?" Dean offers.

"Yes," Castiel says immediately. "Very much yes."

"Alright, be right back."

Dean presses a kiss to his fiancé's forehead before heading to the fridge. He returns a few moments later not just with a water bottle, but two bottles of beer, too. He drops the water in front of his fiancé, them puts the beers down in the table.

"In case you want to try one of these," he says, popping the call off his own beer and taking a sip.

"I think I'll stick with my water," Castiel replies, opening that up. He tells himself he's only going to take a few sips, but instead accidentally drinks half the bottle at once.

Dean chuckles. "Someone's thirsty today."

"I really didn't like those shots," Castiel says. "

"Your loss," Dean says with a shrug, taking another sip of beer.

Castiel eyes the unopened bottle on the table for a moment. Dean seems to really like beer. He drinks it so often, it has to be good, right?

Well, there's only one way to find out. Castiel reaches for the beer that Dean offered him and pops the cap off. The smell leaves him a little hesitant to drink it, but he takes a sip anyway.

"Ah, welcome to the beer side," Dean says with a grin.

Castiel puts the beer down on the table and pushes it towards Dean. "And now I'm leaving the beer side. You wanna finish mine?"

"Well, I certainly won't complain," Dean says. "I mean, I'm a little offended that you don't like beer, but I choose to think it's just because you still taste the shots."

"No, I'm pretty sure that's not it," Castiel says. "But if it makes you feel better, then sure."