Chapter 109

When Castiel finally heads to bed that night, Dean is already there, sound asleep with his back to Castiel's side of the mattress. He smiles to himself. Dean looks so peaceful when he sleeps.

Castiel peals off his shirt and tosses it to the side, then does the same with his jeans. He can put them in the hamper tomorrow. Right now, he just wants to sleep.

He lies down in bed as quietly as he can. The mattress squeaks quietly, and he freezes, making sure it didn't wake Dean up. When he's sure he's in the clear, he allowed himself to adjust his position, making himself more comfortable.

"Cas?" Dean says quietly.

"Hi, Dean," Castiel whispers.

Dean just hums in response. 

"Are you awake?" He's obviously somewhat conscious, but whether he's awake enough to actually speak isn't clear.

"No," Dean mumbles.

Castiel laughs softly. "Okay."

A few moments pass in silence, long enough that Castiel half expects Dean to be sleeping once again when he finally breaks it.

"Dean?"

Dean lifts his head off his pillow, but evidently decides that's too much work and lays it back down.

When it becomes clear that that's all the response he's going to get, Castiel just whispers, "I'm sorry."

That gets Dean's attention immediately. He rolls over to face the boy and props his head up on his hand. "Cas, sweetie, what are you —"

"About earlier," Castiel clarifies. "I'm sorry I was so short with you."

"Oh." Dean rests his head back down on his pillow and closes his eyes. "M'kay, that's fine."

"Dean?" Castiel says uncertainly.

"Hmm?"

"What did you think I meant?"

Dean feels around the bed until he finds Castiel's hand, taking it in his own. "Nothing. 'Night, Cas. I love you."

"No, you clearly thought I meant something," Castiel says.

"No, not really."

"Then why'd you get up so fast?"

"I'm still lying down, Cas," Dean says, as if that answers his question at all.

"Dean —"

"I'm too tired for this," Dean says. "We can talk in the morning, okay?"

Castiel sighs. "Okay, but don't expect me to forget."

Dean rolls onto his back, resting his hands comfortably behind his head. "Wouldn't dream of it."

Castiel slides into the space between Dean's arm and his body, resting his head on the boy's chest. Dean wraps his arm around him almost out of instinct.

"Good night, Cas," Dean murmurs.

"Good night, Dean."

~~

It's a bit disorienting, waking up in a house he hasn't been in for years, and the fact that Dean isn't here doesn't help. It takes him a moment to remember where he is, and then another moment to remember that today is Thanksgiving. Well, isn't that a great thing to wake up to!

Castiel smells the coffee as soon as he steps into the hall. Dean couldn't have been up too long if he's just now drinking it.

Dean looks up from his cup when he sees his fiancé. He offers him a brief wave before returning his attention to his phone, exiting whatever app he was using, too quickly for Castiel to figure out what it is.