Chapter 110

The next day is Thanksgiving, which they're celebrating at Lucifer's house for the sake of ease. It used to be the Novak family home, after all. That's where they usually celebrate family holidays.

Dean and Castiel wake up to the blaring of the alarm clock, telling them it's time to get ready to go. They both groan at once, and Dean smacks the alarm to shut it off.

"I don't wanna get up," Castiel whines, hugging Dean's torso and resting his head on the boy's chest.

Dean puts his arm around him. "Me neither."

They lie there in silence for a few minutes, and Castiel closes his eyes, listening to the stay beating of Dean's heart. It's oddly comforting — almost enough to put him to sleep again.

Eventually, Dean sighs and says, "We should probably get up now."

"Do we have to?" Castiel whines.

"Unfortunately," Dean replies.

He sits up, forcing Castiel up at the same time. Dean presses a kiss to the side of Castiel's head before standing up. 

"I'm gonna go take a shower," Dean tells him.

"I'm gonna join you," Castiel replies. "If I fall asleep in the shower, catch me before I hit the ground, 'kay?"

Dean chuckles. "No promises."

~~

Dean and Castiel don't bother knocking, just heading straight inside. Michael, Adam, Samandriel, and Bobby are already there. Michael and Bobby are helping Claire make the turkey, and everyone else is playing with Alex.

"Vroom vroom!" Alex says, sliding her toy car across the floor.

"Vroom!" Samandriel slides his car across the floor too, following hers.

Alex drives her car backwards, slamming into Samandriel's. They both laugh, as do all the spectators.

"I feel so ignored," Dean remarks.

"We're just not interesting enough for them, I guess," Castiel says.

"I mean, Alex is more interesting than everyone, so I can't complain," Dean says.

Dean walls over to Claire, Michael, and Bobby making the turkey, and Castiel follows just so he doesn't feel awkward standing all alone.

"Anything I-slash-we can do to help?" Dean asks.

They all turn around when he says that, and it only takes a second for it to become obvious that no one said anything to them because they didn't realize they were here.

"Hey, boy, welcome back," Bobby says, pulling Dean into a friendly man-hug.

"Castiel, hi!" Michael says with a grin. "It's been ages. How are you?"

"Pretty good," Castiel says, which isn't really a lie. Excluding the nightmares and the panic attacks, he's been living his best life. It's kind of boring and lonely, but the paparazzi can't bother him if he doesn't leave the house. "How about you? I hear you moved out."

Michael nods. "Yeah, it's way closer to the hospital. Works much better."

"Is everyone else ignoring you?" Claire asks. "Or did I miss the big entrance?"

"I don't think they're ignoring us," Castiel says. "I just don't think they've noticed us."

"I got this." She cups her hands around her mouth and calls over to them. "Hey, look who's here!"

They all look over, and it's clear that this 18 months apart had made their return more interesting. They all rush over to the two, with the exception of Alex, with Lucifer keeping her company.

"Castiel, you made it!" Samandriel gives him a hug. "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good," Castiel says, just as he did to Michael.

"I can't believe it's been over a year since last time I saw you," Samandriel says. "What's new?"

"Not much," Castiel says. "Once we release the music video for my next single, I'm officially retired, so that's cool."

"Ooh, right, Lucifer told me about that," Samandriel says. "Whole big party, right? Can I bring Doritos?"

"Is there a way to throw a party without Doritos?" Castiel counters.

"Touché," Samandriel says.

"And I hear you're living with Adam and Bobby now," Castiel says.

"Yeah, it really wasn't supposed to go like that," Samandriel says. "I was just going to stay there for a few days because Alex was crying all night, and then I never went back home."

"At least you get to hang out with Adam, huh?" Castiel says.

"Yes, it's awesome!" Samandriel says. "I mean, I kinda miss living with Lucifer just 'cause he always says the most random things, but Adam's a good enough substitute."

"It's a tough trade, I must admit," Castiel says.

The front door flings open, and Gabriel yells, "I am here! The party may now commence!"

All the conversations break off as they wait for him to appear in the kitchen. He jumps through the doorway, throwing his arms up as if he needed to try harder to get everyone's attention.

"Hey, wait, that's Castiel!" Gabriel waves. "Hi, Castiel! Did I out-dramatic your dramatic entrance?"

"I think you out-dramaticed absolutely everyone," Castiel replies.

Sam steps into the room as well, apparently not as excited as Gabriel, because he doesn't run or make a dramatic entrance. "Sorry, I told him not to annoy everyone."

"Annoying everyone is my specialty," Gabriel replies.

"Trust me, I'm aware —" Sam cuts himself off when he sees Dean standing they're, and only then does Castiel remember that they haven't spoken at all since the terrorist attack, when people found out Sam exists.

"Hiya, Sammy," Dean says. "Did you miss me?"