Chapter 90

A/N My phone doesn't like wattpad so I have to keep deleting and redownloading the app cuz otherwise it stops responding -_-

"Someone's looking at us," Dean whispers.

"Are you surprised?" Castiel asks quietly. "I'm famous worldwide, and you're a big deal in New England. People are going to stare."

"I don't like it," Dean says.

"I don't like it, either," Castiel says.

"I miss when I could just leave the region and basically no one would recognize me," Dean says. "I can't even do that anymore."

"You knew what you signed up for," Castiel reminds him.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I can't be bitter," Dean says. "Now someone is subtly taking pictures of us."

"The civilian paparazzi," Castiel says. "It happens. At least they're trying to be casual."

"I still don't like it," Dean says.

"You don't like anything," Castiel says.

Dean squeezes his shoulders briefly. "I like you."

"Why?" Castiel jokes.

"There's not enough time in the day for that list," Dean says with a flirtatious smile.

"Aw, you're adorable," Castiel says.

"Not as adorable as you," Dean says. "That's right, I'm going with the clichés now."

"Oh, god no," Castiel whispers dramatically. "Not the clichés."

The restaurant hostess leads a group of people to the table in front of them, and Castiel knows immediately when he sees the young-ish girl in flannel that he's found The Gays™️. Everyone knows flannel is only for lesbians and Winchesters. That's why it's no surprise that they all pause for a moment when they lay eyes on him.

Castiel isn't sure what to do. Usually, he'd at least smile at them and then go back to his business, but he's never run into people on the middle of a low key romantic dinner, and he doesn't want to nonverbally invite anyone over here. But when he notices one of the boys wearing a shirt with one of his oldest album covers on it, he feels a obligated to acknowledge them a little bit.

He gestures to the boy with his head and makes the "okay" sign with his hand before looking away, signaling the end of the interaction.

"Careful, Cas," Dean says quietly. "You're gonna give them a heart attack."

"I know," Castiel says with a grin.

"They're still looking at us," Dean says.

"They're going to keep looking at us," Castiel says. "You knew what you signed up for when you came back."

Dean just puts a hand over his mouth silently. Castiel mumbles in annoyance and tries to push his hand away, but he doesn't move it.

Finally, Castiel just speaks through his hand. "What are you doing?"

Dean seems to understand it, because he says, "That's the second time you've said that, and I refuse to let you act like this was not the best decision I've ever made."

This time, when Castiel pushes his hand away, Dean lets him. Castiel just looks at him for a few moments, amused. Dean shrugs.

"You realize that covering my mouth like that is going to look both weird and lowkey suspicious, right?" Castiel asks.

"Oh, shit, you right," Dean says. "Now it looks like I kidnapped you and that's why no one's seen or heard from you since the Grammys."

"I mean, it's kinda better than them realizing they haven't seen in three months because they're annoying and I'd rather lie in bed watching the same movie over and over than acknowledge them," Castiel says.

"Better for you, maybe, but I'm pretty sure kidnapping your fiancé is frowned on in most societies," Dean says.

"That sounds like a you problem to me," Castiel says teasingly.

"Wow, Cas, and here I was thinking you wanted people to think you were in a great and healthy relationship," Dean says.

"Wow, Dean, and here I was thinking you wanted people to think you're a horrible person," Castiel says.

"Okay, fair point," Dean agrees. "But like a kinda horrible person that people just don't like on principle but can't actually pinpoint a reason why."

"Congratulations, Dean," Castiel says. "You have succeeded."

"I know, isn't it great?" Dean says with a grin.

"You are the only person on the planet that would be proud of that," Castiel says.

"That's because no one else on the planet has realized that what people think of them has very little effect on their lives," Dean says. "Well, except you, 'cause that's how you get paid."

"You say as if I need more money," Castiel says.

"Of course you do," Dean jokes. "How else are we going to get married in a room made of gold?"

"Honestly, even if that was possible, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't actually go for it," Castiel says.

"You're not wrong," Dean says. "I refuse to be bound by the stereotypes of the rich."

"Or any stereotypes," Castiel says. "Like the stereotypes of a normal person."

"I think I'm very normal," Dean says. "Eight straight hours of Iron Man movies is normal, right?"

"I promise you, it's really not."