Chapter 64

Dean's lying on a hospital bed with his eyes closed, just looking very peaceful. It would almost be cute if he didn't have his left leg elevated and an IV sticking out of his right arm.

Castiel glances at Ketch and says quietly, "Maybe this was a bad time."

"Looks like it," Ketch agrees. "Guess I'll just go."

But before Ketch can leave, Dean slowly opens his eyes. When he sees who's there, he offers them a small wave with his free hand.

"I was wondering when you two would get here," Dean says.

"That would be now," Castiel replies.

"The princess arrived in one piece," Ketch says, back again with the princess thing.

"I see that," Dean replies. "And look, the princess brought Cas, too."

Ketch rolls his eyes, but it's clear he though that was funny. "I'm mostly just here to make sure you're still alive."

"Well, I've yet to hear myself flatline, so I think I am," Dean says.

"What are they saying?" Ketch asks. "Are you coming back soon?"

"It looks like it," Dean replies. "I mean, I've been pumped so full of painkillers that you could probably cut my arm off and I wouldn't notice, so I couldn't feel it if my leg was just completely shattered anyway. But they said it's just a minor fracture — exactly what I told Mick."

"Then why are you here?" Ketch asks. "They take care of fractures at the stadium."

"I guess they thought they saw something else, but they didn't," Dean replies. "They're keeping me overnight, and I'll be out tomorrow morning."

Castiel smiles slightly. So he's okay. Ketch really had him worried in the car, but it was all for nothing. They'll be back to normal in no time.

"And you'll be back next season?" Ketch asks.

"Yep."

Ketch sighs. "Disappointed but not surprised."

Dean chuckles. "Sorry to ruin your night — morning? What time is it?"

"Too late for me to still be out, that's for sure," Ketch says. "I'll let you two have some privacy, but good luck on the healing and you better be back bright and early end of July."

"Damn straight I will," Dean replies.

"If you need a ride back to the stadium to get your car, call me," Ketch says. "I don't like you enough to ditch practice, but I can get you afterwards." To Castiel, he just says, "Good luck."

"Good luck with...?" Castiel prompts.

He gestures to Dean. "Him."

Castiel chuckles. "Thanks. I'm gonna need it."

With that, Ketch leaves, and Dean watches the door in silence until it's closed.

"Is he gone?" Dean asks.

"It would appear so," Castiel replies.

"Good."

Castiel cocks his head in confusion. "That didn't sound like a playful, teasing 'good.' I thought you two just fake hated each other."

"Oh, no, that's not why it's good," Dean says. "I would've said the same thing if it was Benny or Mick." He glances around the room, then points to a chair against the wall. "Wanna bring that over here so you can sit next to me?"

"Sure." Castiel grabs the chair, then pauses. "One side has a broken leg and one side has an IV. Which side does the chair go on?"

Dean chuckles. "Broken leg side. At least I still have that arm."

Castiel puts the chair down next to him and sits down. Dean reaches down, feeling around for his fiancé's hand, and Castiel intertwines their fingers.

"I'm glad you're okay," Castiel says. "Lucifer said you were taken out on a stretcher and Ketch said they could fix a broken bone without going to the hospital and I started getting really worried."

Dean chuckles awkwardly. "Yeah, about that."

Castiel looks at him expectantly. "What?"

"It wasn't just a small fracture," Dean says. "Both bones in my leg completely broke, and I guess they kind of shattered into a bunch of little pieces at the break — or I think that's what they said. I couldn't make anything out on the X-ray and I don't speak medical person."

"Oh my god," Castiel whispers. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine," Dean says. "Just, not really quickly. They've been talking about surgery — maybe tomorrow morning."

Castiel stares at him in disbelief. "What?"

"And they said I might never play football again."

Castiel gasps softly. "What? But you just told Ketch —"

"I don't want anyone on the team to know yet," Dean says. "Not until after the Super Bowl. I don't want it to distract anyone."

"But this is life changing," Castiel says. "Literally life changing. You're just going to pretend it never happened for a week?"

"Ah, nope, not quite," Dean says. "That's where the good news comes in. "They don't think I'll be here very long after the surgery — if they do decide on surgery, but they're still debating whether it's really necessary — which means not only will we have time to drive to California for the Grammys, but we'll also be able to make it to Texas for the Super Bowl."

Castiel gapes at him. "Dean, you just broke your leg, you're getting surgery, and you're talking about driving all the way across the country for some football game and a stupid awards show, both of which are going to be on tv anyway?"

"I don't see why anything has to have changed," Dean says. "It's gonna be a shitty couple days, sure, but my right leg's fine, so I can still drive. The only difference is that I'm gonna have to bring a wheelchair or crutches around everywhere. Oh, and I don't think I'm going to the Grammys with you, just 'cause either a wheelchair or crutches are going to ruin the dramatic effect of stepping out of the limo onto the red carpet, but you can still go meet up with Jack. I'll sit in the hotel and watch on the tv."

"You can't be serious," Castiel says.

"'Course I am," Dean says. "I'm not letting a stupid broken leg ruin two important Sundays."

"Can you at least let me drive?" Castiel asks.

"No!" Dean says immediately. "No one drives my car but me."

"But you only have one functioning leg," Castiel reminds him.

"If you're driving with two feet, you really shouldn't be driving at all," Dean says teasingly.

"That's not what I meant and you know it," Castiel says.

"Of course I know it," Dean says. "But I promise, I can still drive just fine. And I really want to watch the Super Bowl in person. I've never been able to do it because I'm always in it, and for all I know, tomorrow might be the last time my whole team plays in the Super Bowl, and it's in my hometown. If you really don't trust me to drive, I'll go alone and just skip the Grammys, but you might as well come with me. We can head to both, one after another."

Castiel hesitates. "And you're sure you're up for that?"

"Of course I am," Dean replies. "I'll just take a pair of crutches, get in a nice arm workout. It's a win-win situation."

"Then I guess that's what we'll do," Castiel says. "But after that, you're staying in one place, and that's that."

Dean rolls his eyes. "Do you have to be such a mom?"

"Well, clearly someone has to," Castiel says. "If you're not gonna take care of yourself, I'm gonna have to do it for you."

"You know, I'm going to be nice and not make a sex joke out of that."