chapter 5

After taking a shower I go downstairs to join The Jacobs and mum for supper, I haven't seen Lily's dad since they arrived. I hear voices when I walk downstairs meaning everyone is already at the table.

"Hey Luke, I didn't know you are back." Luke is Lily's father, he went to the police station earlier when Layla came home.

"Look who is finally awake, not getting enough sleep at night." He teases standing up to give me a hug.

"I'm just restless that's all, at least I can get a little sleep during the day right?"

"Supper is ready, let's eat before the food gets cold" Mum announces.

At first there's silence around the small table I shared with Lily, the only thing that can be heard around the room is cutlery against plates. One of the reasons we are all so quiet is because we all know how much Lily hated cold food, and small talk. Everyone seems to be in their own head, lost in thoughts of Lily and going on without her.

I'm the first to break the silence, "what did the police say Luke, any progress?" My mum gives me a nasty eye as to reprimand me for speaking.

Luke sighs before answering me "the detective on this case said they know the name of the suspect, but haven't found him yet. They have completed their investigation, meaning we can now take the body back home" He says sighing loudly.

"We have already made preparations, so we are still on about leaving tomorrow evening." Layla adds trying to be strong.

We continue with dinner with no word exchanged afterwards, I'm not even sure we can taste anything, I feel like I'm eating cut board or something tasteless. Not that there's anything wrong with the food we are eating, but I have no appetite and if I skip supper my mum would make a farce about it.

Luke and I wash the dishes to let mum, and Layla rest since they prepared supper. I have been stealing glances at Luke today because he is more quiet than usual, he looks like he has aged over a decade since the last time I saw him. His eyes lack the warmth and mischief that's usually there, they are dull, and have no hope in them. I believe it's expected especially after losing a daughter, but it's still sad to witness.

When we are done with the dishes, Layla says she wants to lay down and rest, Luke follows her wishing us a good night. "Do you want some tea mum?" I ask preparing a cup for myself.

"No baby, Noah is on his way to pick me up. We checked out of the hotel the minute we heard that we can take Lily home." she looks at me with that look I hate so much.

Pity

.......................

This past few days have been hard on us, I can't get a full night's sleep, I'm taunted by nightmares. All I see when I close my eyes is Lily, thanks to social media. I came across pictures and videos of Lily taken by people who were outside when the accident happened, one video was taken by Lily, she was doing a live feed on Instagram while at the party, it proceeds to her leaving to wait for Mo outside.

In the video, we see Lily crossing the road and looking back to see if Mo and the others are following. Out of nowhere comes a car, and just as Lily realizes what's going on it hits her and she is thrown about six feet from where she was. This part we see from someone else's video. Lily is seen trying to get out of the road to avoid the police car that was chasing the car that hit her.

I'm not sure why I watched that video, but a part of me felt that I should know that even if I were present, there was probably nothing I could have done. I still can't get the images our of my mind, I feel for Mo and everyone who witnessed the accident taking place. These pictures and videos also intensified my dislike for social media, because people decide to take pictures first instead of trying to help us those in need.

Lily sustain a head injury from when the car sent her flying six feet from where she, she also had internal bleeding and a punched her lung. Cause of death was internal bleeding, but the doctor said if it had not killed her she might have been brain dead, due to the  her head injury.

My vibrating phone brings me out of my thoughts, for the past two days I have been avoiding my phone and social media. People have been tagging Mo and I, on almost everything related to Lily, some go as far as asking me how I am doing. That is one question that I have come to hate, how do they expect me to feel during a time like this?

I don't recognize the ID caller, but I decide to take the call anyway. "Hello?"

"Hey, is this Victoria" I hear a deep voice on the other side of the call. I don't think I recognize this voice.

"Yes this is she, who am I speaking to?'

"It's Hayden, I got your number from an old school mate. Lily left some things at my place that I think you would love to have them. Also can you please text me when you know the details of her funeral?"

"Oh! Hi Hayden, I'm going back home later today so I think I will take them when I get back. I was hoping Mo would have told you about the funeral details."

"Jamie can't get hold of her, they talked briefly yesterday when she went to his place to collect her bag and that's all." Hayden sighs loudly.

"The funeral is on Friday, it will be held at East High Church. I'm not yet sure about the time."

"I will see you then and, Victoria?

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry for your loss."

'Thank you, same to you Hayden."

I end the call and see that in the past two hours I missed calls, one from Hayden and two from Liam, Lily's brother. I should call Liam back, but I just feel drained right now. I would rather text him a bit later when I'm in the right headspace.

Liam is Lily's older brother, to me he is more than just my best friend's brother, he is one of my closest friends. He spend most of his days at my house since he was the only boy at his house.

Liam followed his mother's footsteps and studied medicine, he went to medical school in Italy and is now a resident in one of Italy's best hospitals. In these past six years I can count the number of times he came home, he loves his family but, a bird must get out of it's nest at some point.

Lily looked up to his brother so much, in her eyes Liam could do no wrong and I guess it's sort of the truth, he was her hero. Growing up their parents were mostly busy so Liam was the one taking care of Lily more times than he can count, Liam ended up being followed by two girls as soon as I became his sister's friend.

It was how I ended up having a very big crush on my friend's big brother.

Please vote, comment and follow.

I introduced Hayden in this chapter, what do you think will happen next?

Kikipee❤️