Chapter 47🔥

There are mature scenes in the middle of the chapter. I will indicate where it starts so that anyone who is not comfortable reading mature scenes can skip.

This entire week has been great, and I'm truly hoping this doesn't change tomorrow. I have an appointment with Dr Pepper and from there I have to go to the hospital. I'm not looking forward to the latter; besides not being ready for the news I might get, I am also nervous of getting even more serious results.

I walk back at home instead of taking a cab, as my outfit allows me to walk long distance. It takes me twenty minutes by foot to get home, so I'm using this as an exercise as it has been a long time since I went to gym. New York is so different from any other places I have visited, especially Manhattan, the streets are always busy and alive.

Right now the streets are filled with people coming from work, others dressed to party as Friday is the day to rewind and just relax. No one is paying attention to what others are doing, we are all lost in our own heads, and rushing to different places.

As much as I love living in Manhattan, I actually miss being back home in Orlando. I miss the fresh air in my parents' garden—the warmth of the sun on my face—looking at the sunset and the sunrise at dawn. Thinking of home makes my heart ache, I haven't talked to my mother in three full weeks and that's a lot for us, mum and I talked at least twice a week.

It's not that she hasn't tried talking to me, the first week after I left home she tried calling and I avoided all her calls. By the second week she had given up, the only person I have talked from home is Sam. He has not mentioned our parents in our calls and chats, but I know it's at the back of his mind.

Noah on the other hand was convincing me to talk to them, so I'm guessing he has heard from mum. I am no longer angry with them, but I'm angry with myself. I feel like I betrayed my father by replacing him with someone who took everything from him.

My phone vibrating brings me out of the heavy thoughts of home. I look at my surroundings and notice that I'm a block from my apartment building, I wonder if I would have passed by it had my phone not vibrated. Speaking of my phone, I take it out of my handbag and see that Hailey sent a text. I walk to the building entrance and open the message.

Hey, are you ready for tomorrow? Want me to come with?

Thanks Hails, but I think I should do this on my own I will call you. I type and send as I walk to the elevators and take one to my floor.

Hailey has become more than my brother's girlfriend, she has become a friend and a sitter to me. I sometimes ask myself what she sees in my idiot of a brother. I put my phone back in the handbag and get out of the elevator when the doors open having reached my floor.

When I arrive at my door I take out my keys to unlock the door, only to find that it's already unlocked. The only person who has keys to my place is Mo, and when I talked to her about an hour ago she didn't mention dropping by, she actually said she's going home to prepare for our double date tonight.

I would freak out if this wasn't the safest part of Manhattan, but one is never truly safe right? I'm about to call security when I hear my mum's voice on the other side of the door.

"Victoria is here." Is what she says before opening the door.

..........................

I have been starring at my mother and step father for what feels like forever, no words have been shared between us. I'm shocked to see them in my apartment, especially because they basically broke in and made themselves feel at home.

Seeing them in my apartment broke something in me, this is the only place that's my haven, the only place that I can break and hurt without being asked questions. It's the only place that I can freely be myself, and feel safe, but seeing them in my house broke that sanctuary feeling I had.