Chapter 46

👆🏽 Victoria's outfit

Hayden's POV

I just had the shittiest weekend ever, from being in away from my girlfriend for almost a week, to having the most difficult client ever. A case that should have been solved in just as matter of days is yet to be resolved, all because our client was being a brat. If she wasn't one of the partners' daughter at the firm we could have dropped her the minute she opened her mouth.

All she did was act like a brat and waste our precious time, instead we were babysitting a ten year old stuck in a twenty three year old woman's body. By the time Josh and I noticed that she just wanted to show off with daddy's employees we jumped on the next plane to New York. It didn't take long before our phones were vibrating with Mr Silver's calls.

"Come into my office as soon as you land." Was the first thing he barked when I answered his call.

Now here I am with Josh taking an elevator to Mr Knightley's office. Josh is a senior lawyer here at Parker and Silver's law firm, so I'm guessing he is not in trouble as I might be. The elevator doors open on the tenth floor and we get out, Mr Silver's office is at the end of the hallway, so we walk to it in silence, each lost in their thoughts.

Mr Silver is a very reasonable person, but I'm not so sure what to expect seeing as the client we dropped is his only daughter. The man is known for being a family man, with two sons and a daughter he never stops talking about. When we reach his office the glass doors are closed, but we can see him talking on the phone, probably with his daughter.

He sees us coming and gestures for us to come in and drops the phone calls as we enter his office. "Come in Hayden, Josh we will talk later." He says with a poker face in place.

Josh closes the door on his way out and I sit on one of the office chairs in front of Silver's desk.

"What happened in California? Why is my daughter calling me in tears?" He asks with a deep voice.

'Ms Silver didn't want to settle, she made it clear that we were there to listen to all her demands.' I answer him looking at him.

"Do you know why I chose you to go with Josh to California?" He says taking a sip of water on his table.

'No sir.' I tell him truthfully.

"I believed you would be able to handle Cassy, clearly I was wrong." He says confusing me.

I'm not sure what exactly this man is saying, but whatever it is I don't like it. I don't directly answer to him in this firm, but I'm smart enough to know that it's not ideal to get on the wrong side of one of the partners, especially a founding partner.

'I am not sure I follow what you mean.' I state and my voice comes out deeper than I intended.

"Cassy is my daughter and I love her, but God knows that girl needs a man who will keep her in check. I thought that man was you, but now I'm not so sure." He says still wearing his poker face.

'So this is what this trip was about?' I ask trying to keep my anger in check.

"So imagine my surprise when I get a call from my daughter, in tears because you told her off. I was willing to make you a junior partner you know, all you had to do was tame her and close the case."

This makes me stand up, ready to leave this man's office. 'I am in this firm because of my work, not because I'm a toy. Mr Silver, I am good at what I do, but let me tell you what I told your daughter' I pause trying to cool off a bit.

'Hire someone else who will bend to her will or better yet, take the case yourself. As for being a partner, I will get there on my own merit, and not because you hired me to fuck your daughter.' I say through clenched teeth ready to get out if his office.