chapter 29

It's 8:10AM when I arrive at Grey Mental Health Clinic, a psychology clinic where I will be working for the next three months. Since I still have time, I go to a coffee shop not far from the clinic to pass time and sip coffee. Grey Mental Health has three branches in the country; with it's headquarters in Los Angeles, then the one I will be working at here in New York City and the last one is in Virginia. The first clinic was established over forty years ago, and as the years went by it's directors decided to open more branches in other states.

Grey Mental Health clinic hires only the best, so to be given a chance to be an intern here is a big deal. Each year they take only nine undergrad students across the country, three placed at each branch. The main reason I wanted to intern at this Clinic is because they don't just help patients, they carry out studies to come up with new theories and explanations as to why people have certain mental health issues.

Their latest study was exploring on how modern environment, and climate impact our mental health. Every year the clinic sponsors scientists and psychologist who focus on developing new medicine and ways to help people dealing with rare mental health issues that only affect a small percentage of population.

I take a deep breath as I gaze the tall building in front of me written in bold GREY MENTAL HEALTH CLINIC. I am nervous and excited about the three months I will be in this building. I go towards the entrance and go towards the reception area, there is no one at the desk and for a moment I worry that I am late. I received an email on Friday that indicated that the receptionist Tracy would help us with access card and show us where we are to go.

I look at the time and I see that it's not yet 9AM, meaning I am definitely not late. Just as I'm wondering if I should wait here till someone arrives I see a beautiful lady with black long hair approaching the reception area. She smiles when she sees me, her teeth so white I wonder what toothpaste she uses.

"Good morning, you must be one of our interns. Sorry for making you wait"

'Good morning, yes I am one of the interns. I am Victoria Amelia Thompson'

"Nice to meet you Miss Thompson, please sit on those beige couches while we wait for the other two"

This means I'm the first one to arrive, and I was worried I'm late. I turn to the couches a few feet from the reception area when two people rush through the entrance, looking like they just ran here. I think they are the two other interns, the boy speaks with Tracy while the girl keeps nodding her head. Tracy smiles as then and talks for a bit before beckoning me with her hand, and calls someone from the telephone on her desk.

When I get to the reception area I greet the two interns while we wait for Tracy to get off her phone, with who I believe will be our supervisor. "Okay, I will direct them" Tracy says before dropping her telephone.

"Ms Christine is waiting for you, take the elevator to the third floor. She will be waiting for you, before you go home come and get your access card"

"Okay, thank you"

On our way to the elevator I introduce myself to the other interns and I learn that the girl is Marlene and the guy is Pete. Pete is from New Orleans, and Marlene is from California and wasn't accepted placed at the Los Angeles branch even though she initially applied for their branch.

"Can you be our tour guide Victoria, since you are the only one among us who is familiar with New York?" Pete asks with a grin just before we get off the elevator.

I am about to answer him, but stop when I see a woman probably in her late thirties coming towards us as we get off.

"Good morning, my name is Christine August, your assistant for today. Each of you will be assigned to a Dr who you will be shadowing for the next three months, when your supervisors are not around then their assistants like myself will show you the ropes" she beams at us making me both nervous and excited. Everyone I have met so far look friendly and kind.

We reply and she gives us the tour of the clinic, showing us our working stations, where we will compile a report for the work we do. She takes us to a hall where they usually hold group counseling for bigger groups, then a room that is used for smaller groups and indicates that individual counseling usually takes place in the office.

All individual patients assigned to her, go through to her office and sometimes outside, even though it's on rare cases. The clinic is bigger that I thought, Christine tells us that the west wing is for psychiatric patients meaning we don't have access to it. She takes us to the cafeteria, and game room where doctors can take a breather during breaks.

......................

After the tour we take a break, then each one of us is assigned to a psychologist who will be our supervisor. Maya, the assistant who I will be working closely with smiles at me and tell me to follow her. I will be working closely with Maya and Dr Pepper the psychologist.

"Today I just want to get you up to speed with how to file patients' notes, set up an appointment and send invoices."

Maya and I sit behind my desk while she shows me how to file patients' notes digitally, she also shows me her manual system that she uses for Dr Pepper; my supervisor.

"We file alphabetically, this helps me and Dr Pepper to locate the patient's files easier. Some people prefer colour files, but I honestly think that's a lot if work"

'A lot of work?' I ask her, needing her to elaborate on how that works.

"Yes, with colour coded system, it keeps changing. It's not standard, for patients who need to see the doctor regularly it's red and for patients who only come twice a week it's orange, then for those who come once a week it's yellow."

"Meaning if the patient improves and doesn't have to see the psychologist regularly, their file colour must change" she concludes with a sigh.

By lunch time, Maya and I have covered everything I had to know. From filing patients notes in the clinic's computer system, sending out an invoice, making appointments and setting appropriate time for each patient. Most of these are done digitally, but Maya also shows me how to use the manual system. As Maya is teaching me how to work the phone, Dr Pepper's office door opens. I haven't had the chance to meet her due to her busy schedule.

"Hello, you must be Victoria. I am Willow Pepper" she brings her hand forward for a handshake and her hand is firm.

'Hello, it's nice to meet you doctor.'

"I am sorry for only introducing myself now. My Monday work schedule is the busiest, but I'm sure Maya has told you everything you need to know" she smiles at Maya

I'm starting to think everything here goes for teeth whitening before working here, all their smiles are big and teeth so white and clean.

'Yes, I believe she has' I'm not sure exactly what my work will entail, so I'm only speculating.

"I have show her how to use the filling system, invoice and set appointments. Christine took them on the tour earlier, so all that's left is for her to shadow you and learn how to take patients' notes and practice all she learnt at college" Maya puts Dr Pepper up to speed with all we did.

"Okay, that's sounds like everything and from what your academics scores say Victoria, you will do great here with us"

'I hope so' I say feeling nervous.

"Don't worry, I think that should be all for today. Be here at 8 o'clock sharp tomorrow and you and I will see what works best for us" Dr Pepper says.

Maya walks with me saying it's time for her to take a lunch break. "Mind joining me for lunch?" she asks as we take the elevator.

I am tempted to declining, but think better of it. This is one of the few people I will get to work closely with, and Maya seems like a great person. She looks about three years older than me and she is actually funny and I know I will learn a lot from her.

'Sure, why not. Let me grab my access card at the reception then we will go'

Please vote, comment and follow.

Kikipee 💙