chapter 14

It's two weeks later, I'm outside Jamie's house and I see that the party has began so I park my car in his driveway. It's after 4PM on a Saturday, Jamie's actual birthday was yesterday but Mo thought it was best to celebrate today because we are all free. The number of cars I see here mean Mo wasn't lying when she said they want to keep it small.

Jamie works at his dad's company as a senior manager, but as much as his dad is super rich Jamie lives a normal life, he stays in a beautiful modern house with his sister. It's my first time here so I take my time to admire the house before going to the backyard where everyone is.

Mo, Mariah and I decided a barbeque would do, because only fifteen people are attending and it's mostly guys plus autumn weather today is perfect for a barbaque. You can never go wrong with burgers and meat, especially when this place is full of guys and just a few girls.

I walk over to the girls who are sitting outside drooling over the guys. Mo introduces me to all the girls and I must say they are quite nice, more especially Jamie's sister Mariah whom I met Jamie's sister a week ago when I went to Mo's apartment after my classes, she is twenty and way too mature for her age.

After Mo introduces me to the girls I go inside to get something to drink and I bump into Hayden and a guy I have never met before. "Aren't you a fine one, I am Charles and what's your name baby doll?" I almost gag but keep my face straight and open my mouth to answer, but Hade beats me to it "This is Victoria, and Victoria this is Jamie and I friend Charles"

'Nice meeting you Charles' before I could excuse myself Charles interrupts me. "You mean to tell me this is your Victoria? Damn man you never mentioned she's this hot" I take that as my cue to leave.

Hayden knows best not to corner me and I breathe in relief when I hear them walking away. I open the fridge to see what I can drink, I don't want to even have a sip of wine around Hayden and I'm driving so I settle for  diet coke then walk out to join the others out side.

When I come back I found everyone sitter around a long table filled with food and I am the only one who's seat is vacant, I hate being the center of attention and right now everyone looks at me when I get to the table.
I wonder if luck is not on my side today or if someone is just playing tricks on me, the only vacant chair is besides Hayden and Mo; meaning I'm going to sit in between these two.

After sitting down everyone does their own thing, the table is filled with hot dogs, burgers, salads, meat and drinks. I pour some salad on my paper plate and Mo gives me the eye, asking me why I'm only eating salad and I shake my head. I want to tell her that burgers are out of my reach, but I don't answer her because I don't want Hayden to hear me.

"Hey big guy, can you please pass me those burgers" Mo smiles at Hayden so I'm guessing he is looking at her. I shoot daggers at her, because then Hayden will have to pass them over me.

"Mind giving these to Mo?" He says softly, his voice deep voice reminding me of things I would rather forget.

'Why would I mind?' I retort taking the tray will with burgers only to find Mo pleased with herself.  Mo places one burger on my plate and hers then asks me to return the tray to Hayden. Why does she have to return them? 

From there everything goes without any awkward moments between Hayden and I, everyone is just chilling around in the back yard. Everyone here is nice and I must say it is great to hang out with new people. I don't like meeting new faces because I always feel awkward, not knowing what to say and afraid to look like a fool, but today it was less awkward. Besides my moments with Hayden

I am with Mariah, Jamie's sister when Hayden decides to interrupt us "Hey, mind if I steal her away for a moment?" He is looking at Mariah.

"She's all yours" she smiles so big I'm sure her cheeks must hurt.

Traitor

'Thanks for the support sister' I say with sarcasm dripping and Mariah giggles.

Hayden and I walked in silence till we are near the pool where there was less noise. "I have been trying to call you"

'I know' I mumble looking at the lawn.

"Look Victoria, I know I hurt your feelings the other day, I was frustrated with everything that happened. I don't regret kissing you I would do it again. What I can't understand is why you regret it and ran out like that"

'I don't think you will ever understand it Hayden. I thought you would, but I was mistaken. Lily was my best friend so let's just drop it"

"Don't give me the Lily shit again, yes she was your best friend, but she was also someone important in my life. We may have not been serious, but I cared about her. The one thing I'm not going to do is stop living because Lily is gone and neither should you" he almost yelled.

'There is no use talking about this, we have different perspectives when it comes to this issue. Let's go back to how things were three months ago, where we just knew each other's names'

He closed his eyes and opened them again after few seconds. His beautiful gray eyes held so many emotions all at once. "I have liked you for as long as I have known and I'm not going to stop just because you say so" he caresses my cheek and kisses my forehead and turns to leave.

"Probably more than I should" he said just above a whisper, but I heard it right and I'm left with so many questions.

I go back to where I left Mariah, she is with two girls from earlier and tell her that I'm leaving, I have a long drive ahead of me with traffic picking up. Jamie and Mariah live outside of the city, it's about an hour to the city when there isn't traffic. I text Mo to let her know that I'm leaving after not seeing her or Jamie anywhere in the backyard.

Jamie must be sampling his cake.

.......................

I am in my bedroom when I heard a knock on my door. Who could it be at this time
It's Sunday morning the day after Jamie's birthday party. I rush downstairs to open the door to see someone I was not expecting to see here today. Monica

I step aside and wait for her to enter before closing the door and going to the living room with Monica hot on my heals.

"Why are you not taking my calls, what happened last night, what did-"  I interrupt her before she could ask one more question.

'Slow down Mo and to answer you, I am not avoiding your calls my phone is somewhere around the house I don't know where. Nothing happened last night, it was late and I wanted to avoid heavy traffic'

"Soon after you left Hayden looked awfully hurt and an hour later he also left. I knew it had something to do with you but he lied too."

I decide to tell Mo what happened last night just so she could let it go. It's not my intention to hurt Hayden in any way, that's why I have been avoiding him.

"He said that and just left, what does he mean?" We share the same look and shake our heads.

I know Mo thinks I should give myself a chance with Hayden, I doubt she fully understands my decision. What I have always loved about her is trusting me to do what I want. She is the kind of person that will advise you yet letting you do what you believe is right for you.

Please vote, comment and follow

What did Hade mean when he said he has liked Victoria for as long as he has know her? Could he perhaps love our girl?

Kikipee ❤️