Chapter 4

Emma's POV

I laid on the bed Alexander said I could have. My eyes were glued to the ceiling. I couldn't sleep, my family were on my mind. I still couldn't believe that I might never see them again.

The next day would be Sunday. That was the day my  family would have our family dinner. I even planned to invite my best friend over to have dinner with us for the first time.

Tears suddenly started flowing from my eyes. I wiped them away with the sheet but the more I wiped my eyes the more tears fell.

After another fail attempt to not cry I  gave in and broke down in tears. I tried really hard to keep the sobs down so that I didn' t wake Alexander, but I wasn't as discreet as I thought I was.

"Emma are you okay?!" Alexander asked in a worried tone as he shuffled to get out of his bed.

I was surprised. I thought that he was still asleep.I quickly wiped away the tears and sat up.

"I'm fine." I replied.

His eyes were glowing but this time the colour was light red. This scared the life out of me. I quickly ran out of the bed and to the door.

He realized why I did this and his eyes went back to the colour I was used to. He switched the light on and again looked like a normal person.

"I'm so sorry, I forgot about my eyes." He said.

"Why were your eyes glowing like that!?" I shouted shakily still holding onto the door handle.

"If you're unhappy, in danger, or hurt, my eyes will glow enabling my protective instincts so that I can protect you." He told me.

My heart was racing and I was still scared.

"Will I have to go through all this when I'm unhappy?!" I asked wishing I was home with my family in my own room.

"I can't stop this it's how we all are." He said.

"I won't hurt you Emma go back to bed."

"Do you want me to leave the room?!"

"His question surprised me.

"No, no, this is your room. I'm human you have to understand that these things scare me." I responded.

"I understand Emma." He said nodding.

He got off his bed and walked toward his desk. He took out a board game from the last drawer.

"It's a stress reliever game." He said sitting down on the sofa.

"I used to play this game a lot when I was younger."

I wasn't as scared as before so I released my grip from the door handle but I continued leaning on the door.

"When I was born my mother loved me and cared for me as any loving  mother does. At the age of twelve she said I was acting strange. I could hear thoughts and know when people were in danger. I remember the first time  I prevented her from slicing her fingers off with a kitchen knife. She was convinced my abilities weren't normal so she brought me from doctor to doctor."

"All the doctors told her that I was a healthy and normal twelve year old boy. She even brought me to a psychiatrist. He too said I was in good mental health."

He spoke with a distressed tone. With each line he'd pause and move one of the little men on the board.

"When I turned thirteen I had a unbearable toothache. My mother brought me to the dentist, but the dentist said she saw nothing wrong. My mother was still convinced that something was wrong with me. She spent a lot of money trying to confirm her suspicions, but everybody she went to said I was fine."