Chapter 23

Emma's POV

I was awoken by a loud crash outside the Slome. My eyes popped open as soon as the sound reached my eardrum.

I looked over at Xander on the other side of the bed. He heard the noise too and sat up. He rushed out the Slome leaving me behind.

I was frightened because I had a feeling something was wrong.

I stood at the entrance of the slome and peeked out. My mouth hung when I saw the commotion outside.

Some men and women dressed in weird clothing were in a battle with Xander, Daina and D'angelo.

One noticed me and ran toward me. It was so quick that I didn't get to move away. Fortunately, Xander noticed and sailed his sword through it.

"Emma prepare yourself, we'll leave as soon as the Portal is created." Xander shouted.

I hurried to the fountain to wash my hands, face and feet. The water was cold but refreshing. When I got back to where everyone was Daina had already opened the portal.

We walked through the portal and arrived at a river. I wondered if it was a real river because Daina walked on it like she was walking on land. We followed Daina toward a large palace that was floating in the air. It looked more vintage than Alexander's.

"How are we going to get up there?" I asked.

   "You'll see." Daina said proudly.

Two long marks slowly ran down opposite sides of her back. It was as if someone was cutting her with an invisible knife. I watched with wide eyes as silver wings slowly popped out of the marks.

"It's okay Emma, don't  be frightened." She told me.

Her words did nothing but make me even more scared.

She held on to my hand and lifted me into the air with her. I bit my lip and closed my eyes in fear. I was scared of heights and I knew if I looked down I would have a panic attack.

We got to the top of the building and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Are you okay?" Xander asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

We followed Daina  through the hall to the room where her father was. A large door separated us from him.

I examined the room quietly. The room was large and built oddly. A large ancient mirror sat opposite to where a dark dresser stood.

   A man laid motionless in the middle of a king size bed. He looked as if he was asleep but he didn't look peaceful. I stared at the man not knowing what else to do.

  I moved my eyes from the man and looked  over at Daina. She released my hand and moved closer to him. Tears fell from her eyes as she moved closer to him.

  I watched as her hand go through his arm as she tried to touch him. It was as if his body wasn't there. Every effort she made to touch him failed.

Though her hand went through him she  still attempted to touch him.

  "Father! Please wake up. Your kingdom needs you, I need you."

   Xander placed his hand on my shoulder, and I felt my heart sink. My own family came to mind. I couldn't see them ever again. I knew exactly how Daina felt.

  I bit down on my bottom lip to hold back the  tears forming in my eyes. I turned to look out the window so Xander didn't have to see me cry. My eyes met the sun slowly creeping up from between the hills outside the window. I exhaled heavily before turning back to Daina.

"Daina! I think I can help him."

  "Please bring my father back to me." Daina replied.

  "Do you have mint leaves, garlic and Thyme in your kitchen?" I asked her.

  Both Xander and Daina stared at me blankly. I knew they were confused as to why I asked for those things. I smiled at this.

  "Your father isn't dead Daina. He isn't in Paradon either he's just lost his powers. He got bitten by a  Venin The deadliest insect in the super natural world. Once it bites you all your power is drained but it soon after dies being too weak to control the power it takes from its victim." I told them.

  Everyone in the room stared at me silently. It was obvious they were all lost for words. The looks they had on their faces made me giggle under my breath especially  the way Xander stared at me.

   "I'll go get the ingredients." Daina said.

"Bring a bowl and something to mix them together too Daina."

  "My grandmother used those things alot to help injured strangers she called her friends. I would accompany her to the market and she would buy an awful lot of these things. A different friend would visit her atleast twice  a month. Once, while she was tending to one of the strangers I peeked through the door. She had forgotten to close it and I saw that as an opportunity to see what she was doing. The man she was tending to looked exactly like this. I was about five at that time. I forgot all about it until now." I told Xander.

  He blinked for the first time since I explained to them what had happened.

"So how do you know about the Paradon? We got rid of them centuries ago. How can he be bitten by one?" Xander asked.

"I don't know Xander. You would have to tell me. I only know about the Paradons because my grandmother told me about them as fictional stories. His symptoms match that of a person who'd been bitten by one."

Xander furrowed his eyebrows and scratched his chin. He looked away from me as if deep in thought.

"The only way the Paradons could've still existed is if someone is breeding them."

I watched as Xander pace the room trying to figure something out.

  Daina came rushing into the room with everything I asked for.

  I took them and sat them down on the bed beside Daina's father. I took a deep breath and tried to remember everything I saw my grandmother doing.